Subject: Great Observing Site?

Posted on: June 17 2010 @ 02:45 am
By: lrjarhead

Content:

My family and I were taking a liesurely drive the other day along the Talimena Scenic Byway that starts at the intersection of Hwy 271 & Hwy 1 south of Poteau, OK and goes East about 50 miles along Hwy 1 and ends at Queen Wilamena State Park near Mena, AR. This route is full "vista" pull offs that allow the traveler to park and view some really great scenery. One notable location is labeled "Panorama Vista", about 4 miles from the start of the Byway at the intersection of Hwy 271 & Hwy 1. Its' geographic coordinates are: 34.46.49 N & 94.54.05 W (Elev. 2268 ft.). The view is 360 degrees with 270 degrees uninterupted by any trees/bushes. The daytime view is the best I've seen from anyplace in this area these past twenty years - and I can only imagine what the view of the night sky would be like from this spot. Gonna find out one of these nights!
Mike

Replies:

Re: Great Observing Site?

Posted on: June 17 2010 @ 04:17 pm
By: dgrosvold

Content:

Mike, that's a beautiful area. I bet the night-time viewing would be pretty nice from up there.

Posted on: June 17 2010 @ 07:23 pm
By: cdan

Content:

The wife and I spent a week camped out at the winding Stair campground in Oct. of '08. I observed from one of the vistas just outside of the campground. That was some of the best dark sky I have ever been under, but the winds were a problem. It blew most nights, sometimes too hard for observing.

Posted on: June 17 2010 @ 08:38 pm
By: bobmoody

Content:

It was wind that kept us from doing much at Mt Magazine. Whether its windy in daytime or not isn't really noticed, unless its a 110 and 99% humidity....then a 10mph wind feels good. But at night, trying to see faint fuzzies, its about the worst killer of good viewing sort of dew. I believe that would be the biggest problem from Hwy 1 as well. Without a suitable wind-blocking device it would be hit-or-miss for the majority of the nights that were available for viewing. But I have to agree, that's one of the most scenic places in the US. President Kennedy dedicated the Hwy the week before he was assassinated in Oct 1963. Millions of people have marveled at the views, both daytime, and I'm sure nighttime as well, ever since then. Too bad the elevation itself lends so much cause for the wind we fight.

Bob

Posted on: August 17 2010 @ 11:22 am
By: ejbragg

Content:

My dad and I have been out riding motorcycles out there several times. It's a great place to cruise - miles of beauty. I've been trying to scheme up a good way to trailer my scope on the bike without endangering it. that would be the ultimate evening: Motorcycle cruise & camp-out with a nice scope.... the fans will have to run all night to keep the mirror clear of dew, though - since mine's open to the elements!

My wife would rather take a convertible, though. Too bad we don't have one of those!

AOAS.ORG - Forum
http://www.aoas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2328