Subject: new to the forum

Posted on: October 04 2012 @ 10:41 am
By: soupbone75

Content:

Hello all, I am new to the forum.  I am from Louisiana and I am looking for a good place, either in Oklahoma or Arkansas, to spend two or three days next week telescoping. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions that may help me. I am looking for somewhere, close enough to Central Louisiana, that can be be driven to in one day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:

Re: new to the forum

Posted on: October 09 2012 @ 12:43 am
By: bobmoody

Content:

Hi, Newbie! One of the most picturesque and darkest places in AR is found at Mount Magazine south of Paris, AR. There is found the state's most beautiful lodge, along with cabins and camping of all types. It is not always available, though, being very busy almost year-round. Another equally dark site is a little farther northeast at Mulberry Mtn. Click on the gallery here (above) and you'll find several sets of pictures from our club's previous star party events. Either of these places has great camping for modern and primitive camping away from others where good scoping and astrophotography are available, although astro imaging and photography are better near Mulberry Mtn. They have their own website as well. Either site rates a 5-to-6 on the darkness scales, about as good as can be had within the continental US.

Hope you have the opportunity to enjoy one or both sometime.
Bob

AOAS.ORG - Forum
http://www.aoas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2682