Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 10:18 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 A good time at the April 8th Star Party...
 |  Printable Version
Devon Oxford
 Wednesday, April 13 2011 @ 10:10 pm EDT (Read 2877 times)  
Forum Newbie

Concerning the star party on the 8th of April, 2011…

I enjoyed myself. I thought the turnout was pretty good… even though only Leonard and I brought scopes, quite a few of our ‘visitors’ brought their own scopes, and I think a good time was had by all. Several of the people I personally invited showed up…. I must have had over two hundred people (and LOTS of yunguns’) peer through my scope at the Moon and Saturn. We showed a couple of people how to polar align and use a GEM mount, and answered a hundred questions… but that’s what we are there for, I guess. It was fun, and it’s been a long time for me.

Back in the early ‘80s, in Casa Grande, Arizona, I would sometimes set up a 10” GEM mount newt in my front yard. Before long, there would be a crowd gathered to have a look… there were no ‘astronomy clubs’ there at that time. The skies were good enough, and my scope good enough, to pull up some really great views of a few globular clusters and nebula, as well as planets and the Moon. My guests would be wide eyed and astonished at the eyepiece.

One night, one of my neighbors stopped by to see what the crowed was gathered for… he took a quick peek through the scope… and began to lecture us on people who ‘waste’ their time on staring up at the sky, as it ‘accomplished’ nothing. He ended with, and I quote: “I’ll leave you to look at the stars… I gotta go in now, or I’ll miss my TV shows…”

I sincerely hope he enjoyed his ‘TV shows’ as much as we enjoyed ‘our stars’…

Keep looking up…

Devon

Gallifrey Observatory: http://devonsite.com 12' X 16' Observatory in OK, US 12' X 16' NetWorked/WarmRoom 12" LX200GPS Pier Polar Mount Mallincam Xtreme

Profile Email Website
Roger Cayer
 Friday, April 15 2011 @ 04:51 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Sorry I missed it. My work schedule has changed and I'm not as free as I was last Fall to help out at the star parties.
It's always rewarding to see the wonder in people's eyes after they've looked through a decent telescope for the first time.

Profile Email
nspace01
 Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 05:06 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

We did have a great time....

I've missed you Doc.......hope to see you at Mulberry Mountain in May.

nSpace01

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:18 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.