Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 03:17 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Mount Magazine
 |  Printable Version
Wade Van Arsdale
 Monday, May 22 2006 @ 10:48 am EDT (Read 1551 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

Hello to all our friends at A.O.A.S. Thanks to Bob and
everyone from A.O.A.S. who came up for the Mount Magazine
grand re-opening this past weekend. Your presence was a
big boost to the event and it was great to meet some new
faces. We had a great time visiting with your club members
and look forward to more multi-club events with your club
in the future. Thanks again everyone, and we'll see you all
soon!

Bsst Regards,
Wade Van Arsdale
(Member-Central Arkansas Astronomical Society)
http://www.caasastro.org

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Monday, May 22 2006 @ 11:46 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Wade.

Thanks to all you folks from CAAS as well as from RRAC, the Tulsa and OKC people as well. Getting together and doing something like this will go a long way towards helping the Mt Mag people realize that amateur astronomy is a worthwhile pursuit to plan for in the future. Since they ARE interested in making upgrades and improvements to accomodate a dark-sky friendly site, our combined presence down there was very helpful. We must keep at it, however, and plan something else down there for this fall if not sometime even before then.

It would be good for amateur astronomy for all AR clubs to work together and to promote our hobby in a concerted way. We all want basically the same thing, which is for amateur astronomy to be practiced by more and more people. Our Education and Public Outreach efforts will be more successful when we all work together. We all have our members who prefer to primarily practice our hobby on our own, but we also all have many folks who feel that sharing our hobby is something we want to do with everyone we meet. That is where our hobby is different from almost any other amateur pursuit...the fact that amateur astronomers actually work with and help to provide useable data to the professional astronomical community. It is absolutely true that we are the conduit between the professionals and the public at large, and that's an important aspect of amateur astronomy as well.

Let's keep working at this idea. Let's keep planning for multi-club functions and get togethers. There's so much room to expand upon this beginning and I hope this someday turns into something that every amateur astronomer in AR can look back upon and feel proud about having been a part of. Sharing our hobby amongst ourselves is to me as important as sharing it with the public.

Thanks again, Wade. And I look forward to seeing more of the CAAS members, the RRAC members, and even ole poppafred again once-in-a-while. (just kidding, Fred!)

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Wednesday, May 24 2006 @ 01:56 am EDT  

Thank you to all the clubs that came and helped out and made the day a success. I'm looking forward in the future to holding another evening together. I would like to see us put together a star party on the scale of Okie-Tex, it's possible if we all work together.

I think having something in the fall would be a good idea, I don't think that mountain was 10 degrees cooler than the valley. Look for a story that's coming pretty soon.

Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:17 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.