Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 07:32 pm EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Moon Occults Antares May 24th
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Sunday, May 22 2005 @ 01:34 am EDT (Read 1549 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Early Tuesday morning, the moon's ever eastward trek will take it across Antares, the brightest star in Scorpius. If you've never seen an occultation of a bright star by the moon, this is very interesting to watch.

The downside of this event will be the time when it happens. Antares will be right on the moon's edge a couple of minutes before 3:00am. It will fade out of sight very quickly a few minutes later, and then will reappear on the other side of the moon about 70-75 minutes later not long before dawn.

This will be a good opportunity to take some pictures of the event. If anyone has the desire and fortitude to setup and image, or even to view this event, please send me your reports and/or images and I'll post them for you. As I said, if you've never seen an event such as this before, it's quite interesting to watch the edge of the moon slowly plodding along in it's path, closer and closer to the star until it suddenly touches the moon's edge, when suddenly, it's gone. Anticipation grows as the moment of the reappearance of the star is awaited, you carefully watch the edge where you think it should return from, and just as suddenly as it disappears, there it is again!

For anyone interested in trying to view this event, I think you'll feel the tempered excitement as Antares does it's disappearing act and roughly an hour-and-ten minutes later, blinks back into view. Good luck, and please let me know how you did!

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Monday, May 23 2005 @ 10:16 pm EDT  

Well it looks like the weather will cooperate with us, so I hope I can get some decent pictures. I'll email them to you if they come out good.

Content generated in: 0.04 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:32 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.