Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 03:11 pm EDT

Forum Index > Equipment > Telescopes and Accessories New Topic Post Reply
 Atlas 10 EQ-G Ordered!
 |  Printable Version
LME
 Wednesday, August 13 2008 @ 09:34 pm EDT (Read 6718 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I just want to apologize in advance to everyone for the upcoming bad weather that we all will be experiencing for the next 2-4 weeks. How can I predict the weather so far in advance, you ask? Well, its simple… it’s called Murphy’s Law! Some call it the curse, but I call it “THE NEW SCOPE ON ITS WAY SNYDROME!” Eek! Yup, it is me you all can blame for the terrible conditions about ruin our night sky observing for the rest on the month. But, it was the price I was willing to pay and cure this long time fever. Razz It was hard to say good bye to my beloved Mak, but not that hard. And from time to time I’ll see the little guy when my buddy who bought it from me comes over to do some observing. As soon as the skies clear, I will give a first light report.

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Thursday, August 14 2008 @ 09:30 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

So Larry -

Tell us more about this Atlas 10 EQ-G you ordered. So far, it appears that you have a new mount on the way. What are you planning to put on it for an OTA?

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Thursday, August 14 2008 @ 03:21 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Oops, that is a vague description…sorry!
The Atlas 10 EQ-G is an Orion 10” F/4.7 Newtonian OTA mounted on a very beefy, rock solid GEM; I believe it’s the Synta EQ-6., with a load limit of 40lbs! I did not get the GOTO option ($$ ran out), but that will come with time and eventually I’m going try my hand at auto guided long exposure imaging. This setup will be great for both visual and astrophotography. It should cure my fever and keep me busy for awhile... Wink I can hardly wait!

Clear Skies!

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Friday, August 15 2008 @ 01:56 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I told you a couple of weeks ago that the "Fever" would catch you.......Common for all astronomers........

One of the next things you will need is a power source.

I bought a Celestron 17 amp Power Tank, off ebay, to power my mount........Since I got it, only had to charge it once......

Much better than using a AA or C battery pack, or running a line to your car's lighter plug.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Celestron-PowerTank-17-12V-Power-Supply-18777_W0QQitemZ280090124351QQihZ018QQcategoryZ74926QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

nSpace01

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Friday, August 15 2008 @ 02:38 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

I believe it’s the Synta EQ-6., with a load limit of 40lbs! I did not get the GOTO option ($$ ran out), but that will come with time and eventually I’m going try my hand at auto guided long exposure imaging.

Auto Guiding? I assume it has an Autoguide port. ('Course I COULD look it up..) That mount with something like Argo Navis would last you a good long time. You may find, however, that the mount capacity is somewhat less than 40 lbs when you get a camera out there on the end of the tube. Given that the Newt is an f/4.7, it may not be too bad. Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing it. Big Grin

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Friday, August 15 2008 @ 06:03 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

You were right Leonard...I had to take a big scope dose to cure my fever Laughing Out Loud and thanks for the power source tip! That is on my to do list as well.

Dave,

It does have the ports I need to auto guide and I hope it can handle another 6-8lbs for guide scope and cameras, that would put the imaging system right at 35lbs. I'm sure any type of wind would be challenging to say the least, but that will be in the distant future. I'm going to have to take finacial baby steps for a while, unless I hit a big jackpot like Leonard... Big Grin

ETA for my new toy 8/20/08 Smile

Clear Skies,
Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Friday, August 15 2008 @ 11:09 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'm going to have to take finacial baby steps for a while, unless I hit a big jackpot like Leonard...

I know what you mean. I'm faced with the dilemma of simply selling my Ultima 8 outright, or ripping the OTA off the forks and getting a GEM. I'm think about the CG-5 or GM-8. Of course, I can't stand the thought of having only ONE scope, so this is just a start. Eek!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Saturday, August 16 2008 @ 10:29 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Dave,

I almost went with the CG-5, but it was just a little bit on the light side of what I was wanting achieve for imaging. Take a look HERE This is a great price for that mount.

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Saturday, August 16 2008 @ 11:33 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I got my CG-5 ASGT for $595.00, with free shipping, from Highpoint Scientific a few months ago.................

That is a good price.......................

I think you can upgrade your new one to goto with the addition of a new controller for around $400.00...........If I am reading it right...............

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Sunday, August 17 2008 @ 08:39 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

That is correct Leonard, the GOTO upgrade is a $400 hand pad. I'll be on the watch for a good used one as well, along with a PowerTank and a guide scope and a auto guide camera and a imaging camera and filters and and and....will it ever end! Eek!

Clears Skies,

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Saturday, August 30 2008 @ 04:43 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Did you achieve "First Light" yet? Laughing Out Loud

If so, what were your 1st impressions...... Wink

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Sunday, August 31 2008 @ 12:16 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hey Leonard,

I have not had much luck with the weather…I’ve had the scope out 6 times and all occasions were observing through high clouds at best. I did manage to view M13 for about one minute before the clouds rolled back in and I must say it was incredible! My old 5” Mak in ultra clear skies would resolve maybe 50-70 stars, this newt with a 17mm EP and 2 xs Barlow reveals much, much more than I can count! Eek! So far I’m very pleased with the way the scope and mount performs, it's very quiet and sturdy. The only good thing about this lousy weather is that I’ve been getting good practice at collimating. I hope when I come down to Coleman next time, I can get some how to tips on collimation.

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
ejbragg
 Monday, September 01 2008 @ 02:04 am EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Neutral Drum roll ................................................

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Monday, September 01 2008 @ 02:25 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Welcome Back, Stranger..........................How was the road trip?

Last week at the coleman star party, I was impressed by a 16" meade light bridge with GOTO............The fellow showed me Uranus through it..............First time I ever looked it it.

Last night at the end of our star party after everyone went home, I found Uranus and Neptune with my 10"............Uranus was an obvious blue green ball.

Neptune was a a small dot. You could tell that it wasn't a star........If it were not for my goto I would never have found it.

nSpace01

Profile Email
ejbragg
 Monday, September 01 2008 @ 10:22 am EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Hello, guys.

Road trip was awesome. Didn't know I'd find snow and 34 degrees in the middle of July, though! 7600 miles of mountains, canyons, desert, and woods. It was amazing. Too bad I couldn't fit my telescope in my trailer! There were some beautiful nights out there, especially in the deserts.

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
LME
 Monday, September 01 2008 @ 11:06 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hey Eric!

I'm glad to hear you made it back home safely...

Clear Skies,
Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
ejbragg
 Tuesday, September 02 2008 @ 03:54 pm EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Thanks, Larry. Was a great trip, but good to be back.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:11 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.