Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:27 pm EDT

Forum Index > Equipment > Telescopes and Accessories New Topic Post Reply
 New Scope Cover!
 |  Printable Version
LME
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 10:45 pm EDT (Read 8402 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Here is my new scope cover!

(5) plastic trash bags, (1) vinyl picnic table cloth, (8) clothes pins, (1) 12x12 clear visqueen doubled up and (1) 10' rope... Razz

Actually my OTA's are dry and cozy inside, but my EQ-6 is mounted on the pier! I hope I don't need a boat for the next imaging session...

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 03:51 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

That looks familar to me. For years and years when we were still in Greenwood, I had a permanent mount on the dam of our pond. The scope stayed out all winter. If I did that where I live now someone would steal it! I did learn to make sure you have room for the cover to breath. It will sweat with the first sun. I guess it would be stupid to ask if the skys were clear Friday morning where you live. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 04:28 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Here is an idea.........(I have two, myself, for extended Star Parties) Webber Smoker/Bar-B-Q Grill Covers......About 40" X 40" with a tie string, made from fairly heavy black vinyl and less than $20.00, from Walmart...

With I could find a cover this size made out of silvered "Space Blanket" Rolling Eyes

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 06:59 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I could see it sweating up in there, if the sun ever comes out again. Rolling Eyes

I just need to put some walls up, a roof over it and be done.

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Monday, October 12 2009 @ 11:59 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

So -

You could call this your "Fold-Up Roof" observatory, huh? You may want to try putting some dessicant in a container inside the cover to remove the moisture.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Saturday, October 24 2009 @ 07:09 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Yup, I am having major condensation problems... How long does dessicant last and how much would I need? It will be some time before I have a roof over it, but I want to keed the EQ-6 mounted if possible. I struggle with good (imaging) polar alignment and I'd hate to start from scratch every session.

Thanks,

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
LME
 Sunday, October 25 2009 @ 08:39 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

OK Leonard I've set myself up again, so give it your best shot...

Went down to our local big box store and purchased a 44 gal. and a 32 gal. rubber trash can. It definetnly looks better than the Hillbilly Dump Station look... Eek! I just hope it does a better job keeping my goodies dry.

Baptism by fire... I'ts raining again! Angry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Tuesday, October 27 2009 @ 12:57 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Looks pretty cool...........now you will have to deal with flies an knats in warm weather.................:-)

nSpace01

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, October 27 2009 @ 06:43 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: LME

Yup, I am having major condensation problems... How long does dessicant last and how much would I need? It will be some time before I have a roof over it, but I want to keed the EQ-6 mounted if possible. I struggle with good (imaging) polar alignment and I'd hate to start from scratch every session.

Thanks,

----------------------------------

Hey Larry - Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The Rubbermaid Observatory is a pretty cool idea! I'd still opt for some dessicant in there, though. 400 grams ought to do you well. Here's a place you can get it fairly cheap:

Midway USA

What I'd suggest is that you start with about 400 grams and monitor it. When it appears to be saturated enough to need recharging, you'll know If it needs recharging too often or not. Then just get more until you get to where you are comfortable with the recharge frequency.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Tuesday, October 27 2009 @ 11:13 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I'm currently bidding on 2- 625 gram bags cheep on e-bay. Would 625 grams hurt anything?

After about 24hrs of non-stop rain, I lifted the lid off to see if it did it's job and the mount was bone dry. Big Grin I'm curious to see what happens in there when the sun bakes it a little, should have an idea tomorrow.

Here is another pic of the Rubbermaid Observatory with pungee cords holding it down. You can't see it from this angle, but on the opposite side is another cord.

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Wednesday, October 28 2009 @ 01:26 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Larry - I don't see any problem with using 625 grams. That will just make it last longer, I would think. I agree you wion' really know about the moisture problem until you get some sunshine on it and see what happens inside when it heats up.

Good luck!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Wednesday, October 28 2009 @ 07:28 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

"Rubbermaid Observatory" You may have a Marketable Idea..........Buy the trash cans at walmart then resell them on ebay as "RAin Proof Telescope EnclosuRes" i.e., " RAPTER Covers " .

I've read in several astro websites about how you can get dessicant from Pharmacies.............Drugs are packed in it to protect them from moisture.......They probibly just throw it away.................

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Wednesday, October 28 2009 @ 11:09 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

"RAPTER Covers..." That is very clever Leonard, too cool! Cool

When I got home this afternoon, I was eager to see if there were any signs of moisture inside the "Rubber Dome" and I'm very pleased to annouce that there were absolutely no signs of any condensation what so ever. After about 30hrs. of non-stop rain, not a drop anywhere, not even on the inside walls of the cans themselves! Eek! This could change in the summer time though, the sun is lower right now and with cooler temps. the "Rubbermaid Observatory" is spending more and more time in the shade cooling off... But I think I'll be ready when the hot and humid dog days of summer return. I was the winning bidder of nearly 3lb. of rechargable desiccant for $17.00 delivered... Big Grin

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.14 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:27 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.