Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 07:04 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Only 1/4 reach out! Do YOU?
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 03:06 pm EDT (Read 1550 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I was shocked, floored, dumbfounded, to read in the August issue of Astronomy magazine that 3 out of 4 amateur astronomers do NOT belong to an astronomy club. Furthermore, 1/3 of those wouldn't even consider joining a club, while the rest of those who weren't associated with a club said they might consider joining one.

I had to read that again. It couldn't possibly be true, could it? Are there really only 1 out of every 4-or-5 amateurs that belong to an astronomy club and enjoy public outreach?

I had to think hard about that for a minute. As I thought about what I know of amateurs right here locally, I realized that I actually knew probably 10 to 12 local amateurs who aren't associated with AOAS or any other club in our area. I had to figure that there may be at LEAST 20-25 more I didn't even know about. I'd only heard about them from other club members or in conversation with other amateurs over the years. It was likely just as true here as it was for those people who responded to the Poll question listed inside the front portion of Astronomy magazine on page 8.

I wonder what the world would be like if only 50% of all those who don't reach out would suddenly start to do so? I have to believe that we'd be much better off if they did. More people would be available to give presentations to their kid's school. More people would be available to attend star parties and share views of the universe with guests who've always wondered what looking through a telescope was like. Maybe many more guests would think that astronomy was something they'd like to get into and begin as a hobby, too. Maybe there would even be a renewed interest in encouraging our representatives in government to more fully fund scientific missions for NASA, instead of letting them cut, and cut, and cut again every scientific mission program that comes along.

What could we do, what could YOU do to bring more amateur astronomers into local clubs? Could it even be done? I wonder..........

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.02 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:04 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.