Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 02:37 pm EDT

Forum Index > Equipment > Telescopes and Accessories New Topic Post Reply
 Laser Pointer
 |  Printable Version
nspace01
 Wednesday, August 22 2007 @ 12:16 am EDT (Read 2343 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I am in the process of buying a Green Laser Pointer.

I read a lot of crap and see a lot of pointers on the internet that causes a lot of confussion. Prices vary from as little as $10.00 to $100.00 on ebay, all advertiizing 5 mW.

What "Brand" of green laser pointers do the club and other members own and where were they purchased?
Rolling Eyes

nSpace01

Profile Email
ejbragg
 Friday, August 24 2007 @ 12:34 am EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Hey, Leonard,

I just read several threads on Cloudy nights forum about green lasers. There are some name brands out there, but it's hard to tell the difference between what is good and what isn't. But here's something to watch out for (from what I learned out there).

If the laser is really cheap, there's a couple of possible reasons:
1) It's not really as strong/efficient as advertised.
2) The beam may waiver quite a bit in intensity

The second point leads you to the third and ultimate problem of short laser life. Evidently, lasers without a solid light amplifier also have lack of power regulation, meaning the light will likely get hotter faster. Many such units burn themselves out. There are reports that the cheesy brands die after pointing at objects for any longer than a few seconds at a time.

The more efficient models regulate the beam, and the safest models also have a built-in sensor that either drops the power to the beam after it's been on too long, or turns it off completely, until the laser cools down, which they say, takes less than a minute, in most cases. Of course, you can buy the cheaper model and just be sure you use it in short spurts. Rolling Eyes

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Friday, August 24 2007 @ 12:51 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Based on several forums, I have about desided to buy the "Wicked" 5mw Core pointer......it is warrented as factory tuned to 4.5 to 5 mw. These go for about $40.00.

http://www.laserpointer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9

I am going to do a little more research and watch this forum, but this is probably the way I will go, with the info I have now.

nSpace01

Profile Email
ejbragg
 Friday, August 31 2007 @ 04:31 pm EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Sounds like you found a decent price on the lasers. Here's a company site containing a handsome line-up of laser pointers. Not the lowest prices in town, but certainly not the highest:

http://www.luckyduck.com/

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Friday, August 31 2007 @ 06:53 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Bought one:

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=82

I should get in a week or so................

nSpace01

Profile Email
nspace01
 Thursday, September 13 2007 @ 05:45 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Got the laser pointer I ordered.............very impressive............ I think for the money.........Novalasers are the way to go.............

nSpace01

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:37 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.