Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:49 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Mulberry Mountain Visit
 |  Printable Version
nspace01
 Monday, April 21 2008 @ 08:08 pm EDT (Read 3069 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Some of our members spent the night at Mulberry Mountain on Friday the 11th in one of the cabins, just to get a "Feel" of the place.

I set up my 10" SCT on a CG-5 ASGT and my 100mm Binocular Telescope.

After the clouds moved out around 10 pm, observation was kinda rough with the amount of moisture in the air.......Views of the Moon and Saturn were real rubbery/shaky.........

Around 2 am the moon set and conditions improved dramatically.

Veiws of M-4, M-13, and M-3 were fantastic....and all three were visible though my 100mm Binos......

First time ever I have looked at M-51 through my 10"....I could see the two gallactic nucleui and could get a good hint of the spiril arms with averted vision.

M 81 & M 82 were clearly visible.

This is truely a very good "Deep Sky Location" and I am really looking foward to star party in June.
Laughing Out Loud
Rolling Eyes
Laughing Out Loud
Rolling Eyes

nSpace01

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, April 22 2008 @ 12:22 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Sounds great! Any thoughts on whether the humidity/haze will be higher or lower in June than they were on the 11th? Question

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Tuesday, April 22 2008 @ 08:50 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I'll hope for the best and plan for the worst.............I'll bring a portable TV.

You probibly remember the weather we had last june........Almost drown.......

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Wednesday, April 23 2008 @ 10:15 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

The last two falls I've spent a couple of weekends squirl hunting in a small community near there called Rex. Unfortunetly I did not have my telescope either time, but it was so incredibly dark with clear skies last year, I could see M13 with the naked eye and adverted vision. If I go to Rex again this fall, I don't care what my hunting buddies think, I'm bringing the Mak! Big Grin

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
ejbragg
 Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 01:27 am EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

When is the date, again for the June outing?

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 02:43 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

It will be on Friday June 6th and Saturday the 7th.

Our Star Party coincides with the Mulberry Mountain Hot Air Balloon Festival, scheduled to begin at dawn on Saturday. Hot Air Balloons will launch into the air in the early morning and again that afternoon, wind and weather permitting. We understand that tethered balloon rides may also be offered for a fee.

We will set up a Public Observation Area fpr viewing on Friday and Saturday evenings.

If there is enough interest, we plan on having a “Swap Meet” that will take place Saturday afternoon in the Public Observation Area, where anyone will be able to buy, sell, or trade any astronomical items.

We are goimg to try and have Cass Job Corp bring as many people as possible on both nights..........They have buses.

nSpace01

Profile Email
ejbragg
 Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 12:44 pm EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Thanks, Leonard.

Are we staying any place in particular? In other words, who do I contact to reserve a room? Are we all staying in a particular building, or area?

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Sunday, April 27 2008 @ 11:30 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I intend to camp in the Public Observation Area..............So I can sleep near my equipment........The area we intend to use is seperate from the Main Camping Area and has electricity and water.............

There is a Main Campin Area with water/electricity/showerhouses.

You can contact Mulberry Mnt and Reserve a cabin (If they have any left for those dates) at :

(479) 667-1919

The Website is:

http://mulberrymountainlodge.com/

nSpace01

Profile Email
nspace01
 Monday, April 28 2008 @ 03:07 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I made contact with the Activity Director at Cass Job Corp. We should have a couple of hundred of there students and staff at one or both nights of the star party............ Laughing Out Loud

nSpace01

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:49 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.