Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 01:55 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Off-Topic New Topic Post Reply
 What's Up With The Weather
 |  Printable Version
tricks46
 Wednesday, August 20 2008 @ 11:14 am EDT (Read 8482 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I don't understand this horrible weather. No scope time at all. I begining to think that one of you guys is not livin right. Need to fess up so we can get some skys back before I forget how to operate the stuff I use.
Mike H. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Wednesday, August 20 2008 @ 02:31 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

There is a theory that the purchasing of addition astronomical equipment can cause a low pressure area in a section of the country, pulling the jet stream into that area resulting in cool temperatures, heavy cloud cover and rain.

As a direct result of "Aperture Fever", Larry Edwards recently got a new Atlas 10 EQ-G set-up and Bob Moody is buying a DSLR...........

It seems that the theory may be valid......................... Wink

nSpace01

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Wednesday, August 20 2008 @ 03:17 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

I think we're going to have to start renaming the months of the calendar. Eek! My vote for naming this month is Augtober. Big Grin It's 62 degrees at my place today! We've been sleeping with the windows open for the past week. Weird!

If it keeps up, we'll have to rename next month Septvember....

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Thursday, August 21 2008 @ 09:40 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Sorry, my bad...
I love the fact that there is no longer near 100 deg temps, but dang! As soon as my newt showed up, so did the clouds and rain. The tropical storm over Florida has changed directions and now it apears to be headed towards Bella Vista. Eek! Will it ever end?

Larry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Saturday, August 30 2008 @ 11:02 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I'm sorry guys, I guess its my fault. I bought a DSLR, AT66APO, and 108mm rings from a guy on AstroMart and he's the slowest to do things I've ever seen. If I can believe him, he FINALLY made the shipment yesterday, Aug 29. Give it another mandatory 2-3 weeks of continued lousy weather before we can expect the skies really settle down again.

NO MORE PURCHASES, ANYONE, OKAY?

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
tricks46
 Tuesday, September 02 2008 @ 10:15 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Can you beleive it!! That hurricane formed where and now is going to sit over western Arkansas. I can only beleive that is exactly what it had in mind the entire time Twisted Evil . Move to higher ground folks!
(I want a DSLR to).
Mike

Profile Email Website
LME
 Saturday, September 13 2008 @ 05:00 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Sorry folks,

I ordered a Meade DSI from eBay... Laughing Out Loud

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
LME
 Sunday, September 20 2009 @ 07:51 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I can finally see the sun poking through the clouds!

So, who was responsible for the gloomiest weather since Ike and Gustav 2008..? Eek!

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Sunday, September 20 2009 @ 10:45 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

I figure it's punishment for trying to have a Star Party on Saturday. Eek!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 05:13 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

How did that star party and Gastronomical event go....................It was fairly clear at my house at sundown, but fouled up an hour later...........

nSpace01

Profile Email
nspace01
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 06:46 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I am terribly sorry, but due to recent online activities, I may have caused more rain and cloudiness in the next week or so..........

I was not really looking to buy a scope................I am trying to save up for a mirror for my home built 14" Dob project.

The price was just to good to pass up...........

I got a lightly used Meade SN-10 10" Schmidt-Newtonian OTA for..............you ready....................$249.00 plus $50.00 shipping......... Laughing Out Loud

nSpace01

Profile Email
cdan
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:15 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Great buy Leonard! But I really think we need to put a freeze on all astronomical spending.

Craig - Sallisaw

Profile Email
LME
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 08:09 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

How can you sleep at night? Laughing Out Loud

Well, you might as well get another mount to go with your stolen OTA. Razz But you have to buy one tonight, because I don't think I can take another week of this crummy weather... Cry

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 03:22 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I difinitly do not need another mount...............I'll just mount on one of the two I already have.............That is a great thing about most astronomy devices, they are modular with a mod here or there or a new mounting plate. Eek!

That scope was just too good to pass up.....................

Other than the price, the only reason I bought it was this:

My 10" SCT OTA was originally from a Meade LX5 that was manufactured in 1982 or there abouts. 27 years old. It is an "Antique".

I have tweeked the collimation and never have gotten a real good image.

The Moon is great........Planets and stars not so great. Lots of Coma.

About a month ago AOAS had a star party at the Nature Center. The seeing was horrible. I had my scope on Jupiter and could barely see the equatorial bands.

Then I looked through Bike Baker's 8" Celestron SCT at Jupiter and was blown away......You could see details in Jupiter's atmosphere that were not visible on mine..............His veiw was real crisp..........Though a little brighter, my views were fuzzy.

It is common sence to think that a scope 2" larger would have at least as crisp image, under the same skies.

Old surface coatings, internal optic alinement, etc., are probably the faults and from what I have read, the early SCTs didn't have the best optics, compared to more recent commercial manufacturing processes.

And, I may be missing something in collimation...........

I think it may be time to retire the old "Bird", or find it a new home.

nSpace01

Profile Email
nspace01
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 03:26 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

After I complete my 14" Dob, I think my next scope will be a Meade/Astro-Tech/GSO 8" or 10" RC. Rolling Eyes

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 11:41 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I supose it's my turn to apologize, again. And I guess I'll take back all the harsh words that I might have expressed to others (Leonard and his 10" SN he stole) for causing less than perfect viewing conditions that most of us have experienced lately. But it's really not my fault this time, really. It was just a tiny purchase that had nothing to do with apeture fever and in my opinion a AT66ED doesn't count anyways... Rolling Eyes

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Friday, September 25 2009 @ 01:47 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Larry -

it looks like your purchase broke the spell! Man, what a beautiful day today! The sun is shining, the sky is clear, it's just sweet! I'm SO thinking about playing hooky this afternoon. Enjoy that AT66 when you get it. Looks like we'll have several days of clear weather coming up for you to enjoy it. I bet Leonard is gonna get his going as well.

I guarantee I'll have the 12.5" out tonight and tomorrow night! Yee-Haw!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:55 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.