Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 07:21 am EDT

Forum Index > Classified Ads > For Sale New Topic Post Reply
 For Sale - Celestron Ultima 8" SCT - SOLD!!
 |  Printable Version
dgrosvold
 Thursday, November 13 2008 @ 05:22 pm EST (Read 5490 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Celestron 8” Ultima SCT. 1992 vintage. HD wedge w/deluxe latitude adjuster, and HD tripod included. 9V Battery DC powered. Also runs on AC, or Aux 12V DC Power (power adapter cords NOT included). Ultima-PEC mount tracks perfectly with 9V battery power.

Package includes hand controller, Celestron 2” Diagonal w/1.25” adapter (Japan,) 1.25” visual back, 1.25” star diagonal, (Japan,) ScopeStuff counterweight system, Telrad (w/dewshield,) Celestron Ultima 30mm, 12.5mm, and 7.5 mm eyepieces (Japan,) and camera piggyback bracket. Also includes AstroZap 8” Flexi-Shield dew shield and carrying case. There is no finder scope, but an Orion quick-mount w/dual rings for a 50mm finder is included. Otherwise, this is a compete outfit.

Scope has excellent optics, hand matched in the Celestron factory. All made in the USA.
The optics are StarBright coated, and show almost perfect star patterns in & out of focus. The Ultima SCT fork mounts were regarded as very stable mounts in their day due to their mass and accurate tracking.

The overall condition of the telescope is great; however there are some minor scrapes on the wedge and tripod. Also, the OTA, wedge, mount and tripod all show very minor paint wear. The factory scope case is in moderate shape, but does have some scrapes and blemishes.

$1000.00 OBO, shipping $150.00 USA or pickup for free in Fayetteville, Arkansas. For PayPal, add 3%

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Friday, November 14 2008 @ 06:20 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Are you selling out???

nSpace01

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 09:43 am EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Leonard -

In a way, I am. I'm actually moving UP, but will do it in stages. I have plans for a couple of scopes in the future - a store-bought refractor and then a large Newt that I will build myself.

The thing is, the eyepieces (Plossls) and other accessories that I'm selling with the scope work best with the long-focal-length SCT, so I wouldn't use them otherwise. Don't worry, I'm not quitting the hobby. I'm too addicted to ancient photons. Big Grin

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Saturday, November 22 2008 @ 06:07 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

The scope is SOLD!!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Sunday, December 14 2008 @ 10:05 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi Dave,
Have you replaced any equipment yet?

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Sunday, December 14 2008 @ 01:12 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hi Larry -

Good to hear from you! To answer your question, no. I have not replaced any equipment. I'm down to bare bones right now. I have a Stellarvue F50 9 x 50 finder, and that's it! I am looking for something in a 4" refractor but haven't pulled the trigger yet. What's up in your observatory?

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Sunday, December 14 2008 @ 09:48 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hey Dave,
I imagine your getting a pretty itchy finger...

Things have been pretty much uneventful up here lately. The weather has not cooperated since mid November and not much imaging for me, but I did manage to look at the huge bright moon between the clouds Friday night…
I’m in the process of building a permanent pier in the backyard, but just in the research stages at this point. I will post pictures and info as I go, for the readers that might be interested. Also, I’m debating on hyper-tuning my mount and if I do, I could post that as well.

Happy Holidays!

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Sunday, December 14 2008 @ 11:53 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: LME

I imagine your getting a pretty itchy finger...

Yes I am!

But the timing isn't quite right yet, and the way the weather is going lately, it doesn't look like I'm missing out on anything anyway. I've done quite a bit of research and I've put a lot of thought into what I want to do - actually since long before I sold the Ultima 8.

My plan is to get a "grab-n-go" scope that will be good enough to serve double-duty as the core of an imaging rig. I believe I've settled on the Stellarvue SV102ED2 with the Feather-Touch focuser upgrade. For my immediate needs, I want to pair this puppy with either the Astro-Tech Voyager mount or the Vixen Porta Mount. These are both great inexpensive Alt-Az mounts that I can use for grab-n-go astronomy. On the ranch, I've now got a place where the skies are great and the observing opportunities come up ofen. it just makes sense to have a scope setup that I can use to be out observing within 5 or ten minutes of the urge hitting me. One thing I hated about the Ultima 8 was the amount of set-up and tear-down time involved. It was just too painfui to drag that thing out to use it fo for short visual observing sessions.

On a longer-term basis, I will want to get a GEM of some kind. I sure like that Atlas EQ-G mount you've got. Once I saw how beefy it was, I've been monitoring (read: lurking) the EQMOD and EQ-6 Yahooo groups to see what other say about them. I've been on the Losmandy group as well, as the GM-8 is also on my list. The Atlas EQ-G is quickly moving to the top of my list with what I've been learning about it, however. It just seems so versatile. I'd be very interested in an article on hyper-tuning that mount! Big Grin

As a primarily visual observer, though I do have longer-term plans to build a large-aperture Newtonian. I haven't decided yet if I wil put it on a Dob or split-ring mount. I think an 18" split-ring Newt w/Servo-Cat and Argo Navis for Go-To and trakcing capabilities would be an absolutely killer visual and imaging rig. The 4" achro would still be a good grab-n-go, even then.

On another note, I noticed you had posted a question about building a pier on the CN forums, and I posted a link there that I thought you might be interested in. This backyard pier looks like a great easy-to-build project for a mount like yours. Maybe this will help?

Telescope Backyard Pier Project

Hope you have a happy holiday as well!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Monday, December 15 2008 @ 09:09 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Howdy Dave,

Thanks for posting the link. I decided to go with concrete vs. steel pipe a couple of weeks ago, so it's just what I was looking for… You da man! Cool I plan to start the construction sometime after the holidays and between the cold fronts…I just can’t decide where in the backyard to put it. (Trees)

That Stellarvue OTA you mentioned would be a very nice scope (I’m drooling) and I would love to have one for imaging! I’m thinking about getting the Astro-Tech AT66 ED for a wider field imaging scope, then later using it as a guide scope for my next imaging refractor, when ever that may be. Like I said in the past, baby steps…

One more thing… an EQ-G + EQMOD is hard to beat for the $$$. Out of the box with no modifications, other than PEC, provided no wind, I can get up to 3min subs un-guided with a rough polar alignment and 8mins guided, that’s with 37lbs. of OTA’s and what not, piled on it. Just my $.02.

When you get the 18” newt fired up, I’ll let you borrow my 254mm as the guide scope! Eek!

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:21 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.