Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 10:44 am EDT

Forum Index > Equipment > Telescopes and Accessories New Topic Post Reply
 Bahtinov Mask
 |  Printable Version
LME
 Wednesday, January 21 2009 @ 10:57 pm EST (Read 3906 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hey all,

A few months ago I mentioned to some of you about a focusing mask I made to assist my CCD camera focusing. And I must say this mask is amazing! I can achieve perfect focus (perfect in my eyes) in 30-45 seconds with no guess work…

The inventor of this wonderful tool is a respected Russian Astrophotographer Pavel Bahtinov (any one speak Russian?) and he deserves all the credit.

It is easy to make, mine was made from foam board material and then spray painted flat black. I think I have around $6.00 invested. Looking at the attached picture you will see that it does take a little effort with a knife, but it is well worth it. And if you think it would be too much work or don’t have the time… search the web and you will find vendors ready to take your order.

How does it work? Like most other masks. I simply place the mask in front of my secondary using cut pieces of weather striping so that it fits snug in the OTA, just like the dust cover. I slew to a star, if I haven’t already and use the zoom tool on my capturing software, adjust focuser and in seconds I’m done and ready to snap some DSO’s. This can be used for visual as well, but one needs to find a nice bright star.

If anyone is interested in making their own, I still have foam board left and will gladly let you have some at no charge.

You can also download a Mask Generator it will calculate the slot widths according to aperture size and enable you to print your own template.

I’ve attached some images of what exactly you’ll see on your monitor, laptop or EP

Intrafocal

Focus

Extrafocal

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 01:47 am EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Cool tool, Larry! That sure looks like it would make focusing easy. Cool

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 03:02 am EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Larry,
Great article - thanks.
I can't print the mask overlay 'cause my printer can only handle 8X11, which isn't large enough for my 8", probably stuck with doing the "commercial" thing - shucks!
Warm regards,
Mike Oops!

Profile Email
nspace01
 Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 04:32 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

We could make them out of cast iron and sell them as "Manhole Covers"

He...............He............... Laughing Out Loud

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 07:55 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Are you implying that my newt is a sewer pipe? LOL Good one Leonard!

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
cristiano
 Wednesday, June 10 2009 @ 10:41 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Hello there.Nice to meet you again guys.It is easy to make, mine was made from foam board material and then spray painted flat black. I think I have around $6.00 invested. Looking at the attached picture you will see that it does take a little effort with a knife, but it is well worth it. Please try it at home!!!!!!!!!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.09 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:44 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.