Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 01:57 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Off-Topic New Topic Post Reply
 Leonard's Astro Dry Rub - Voted Best Ribs in the Universe by the AU
 |  Printable Version
nspace01
 Wednesday, March 11 2009 @ 02:11 am EDT (Read 4266 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I invented a new DRY RUB recipe for Pork Ribs yesterday....................May have been the best ribs I have ever eaten.....And I have eaten a LOT of pork ribs.......I have made other Rubs but this is the best.

This was kind of a "Dry Run" for the Aprill 25th Diamond Bar G Ranch Star Party. I plan to cook a large quantity of Pork Ribs for this event............ Rolling Eyes

Leonard's Astro Dry Rub

Ingredients:

1 ounce of Salt
1 ounce of Celery Seed
1 ounce of Dry Mustard
1 ounce of Powdered Cumin
1 ounce of Powdered Oregano
½ ounce of White Pepper
½ ounce of Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 ounce of Onion Powder
1 ounce of Sweet Paprika
1 ounce of Chili Powder
2 to 4 ounces of Garlic Powder
2 ounces of Misses Dash Seasoning
½ cup Brown Sugar (1 cup for sweeter Astro Dry Rub)

For Spicier Astro Dry Rub, add 1 to 2 ounces of additional Chili Powder or other Dry Ground Pepper Seasoning.

Put everything into a sealable container and shake until it is thoroughly mixed........If needed, mash up any clumps. The dry rub can be safely stored in a sealed container in a cool location for several months.

To use the Astro Dry Rub:

Select a rack of Pork or Beef Ribs, or Brisket with little fat. (Any other meat can be used, whether it swims, flies or eats grass.)

The following needs to be done at least 24 hours BEFORE you intend to cook the meat:

Place meat on a large piece of aluminum foil.

Caution, this step may get a little messy: Rub the meat with a generous amount of the Astro Dry Rub, working it into all surfaces, crevices, and folds, then sprinkle on a little more. (You really can't get too much Astro Dry Rub on the meat, the-more-the-better.)

Tightly wrap the coated meat in the aluminum foil. (For more than one rack of ribs, brisket or chickens, wrap each in a separate foil pouch.)

Place this package in the refrigerator for at least 24 hrs.

Cooking the meat:

Set oven temp to 350 degrees or start gas (Low Heat)/charcoal in your smoker.

Place UN-OPPENED foil package of meat in the oven or smoker ( In smoker, do not cook over direct heat)

For Pork or Beef ribs or Brisket cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours. For fish, cook for 20 to 30 minutes. For chicken, cook about one hour.

Carefully remove the meat from foil pouch. At this point, the meat should be fall-apart-done. Handle the meat very carefully so the meat will hold its shape. Final cooking will make it easier to handle.

If cooking by oven, turn temp to 400 degrees and cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until it starts to brown.

If cooking in a smoker, add a few hickory wood chips and cook over direct heat on both sides of meat for about 15 minutes per side or until it just starts to brown.

Add BBQ Sauce at the table, if you really think you need it.......

Enjoy, but be very cautious not to bite your fingers. Be sure to wear a bib and have plenty of paper towels.

nSpace01

Profile Email
Chuck Larson
 Wednesday, March 11 2009 @ 05:48 pm EDT  
Forum Regular
Regular

Big Grin
Leonard,
You've got my mouth watering already. I can hardly wait to get a taste of those ribs!
I'm wiping the drool from my chin just reading about it. Sounds great.
Chuck Larson

Chuck Larson

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.04 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:57 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.