Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 11:29 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Diamond Bar G Ranch Fall 2009 Star Party
 |  Printable Version
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, September 08 2009 @ 03:04 pm EDT (Read 2872 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Come join us once again for a great Fall Star Party!

Lora and I cordially invite members of the AOAS and guests to a star party at our ranch on Hale Mountain. The Star Party will be held on Saturday, September 19, 2009. We'll start with a potluck supper at about 5:00 PM, and then move to the observing area as dusk approaches. You're welcome to come up earlier to set up.

This is a great dark sky site in NW Arkansas, and we should have an excellent time. We have a spectacular view to the south, with very little sky glow.

Folks are welcome to camp overnight, and we do have 30A electric hookups for about three RVs if you want to bring them. Unfortunately, electricity will not be available at the actual observing site, so bring your battery packs.

Please bring a covered dish or dessert for the potluck supper. Also - everyone needs to bring their own beverages. Lora and I don't serve alcohol up here, but if you want to bring a few beers or something that's up to you. We'll try to have a couple of ice chests full of ice, and maybe some hot cocoa later in the evening. One more thing - It gets COLD up here at night, so dress appropriately.

Click here for a larger satellite view of the ranch.

Here are some simple directions to our place if the web maps are just too hard to follow:

From Van Buren take Hwy 59 north to Evansville. Here's a Google Map showing the route from Evansville to our place. When you get to Evansville, turn right at the Post Office (That's County Rd 3 - Hale Mountian Rd.) Follow CR3 for 5-1/2 miles. If at any point you're in doubt, remember to bear left. It's all paved so you don't have to worry about gravel roads. You will come out on top of Hale Mountain at about 4.25 miles, and then the road will run fairly straight for about 7/8 of a mile and then bend to the right. Go another 4/10 of a mile, and you will see our mailbox on the right with the number 18966 on it. Turn right just after the mailbox, and then you will find yourself facing 4 driveways. Take the 2nd one on the right, just around the left side of the two stone pillars. See the photos below.

From Fayetteville, take Hwy 62 (Exit 62 on I-540) West through Farmington. and continue on through Prairie Grove. Continue 4 miles past the traffic light in downtown Prairie Grove to Ark Hwy 45. Here's a Google Map showing the route from Prairie Grove to our place. Turn Left onto Hwy 45 and follow that down through Canehill, and then Clyde. At Clyde, Hwy 45 will head to the right. Follow 45 approx. 2.5 miles to Country Road 3 (Hale Mountain Rd.) Turn left here. There's a big sign for the Morrow Country Store at this turn-off. Follow CR3 down into Morrow past the Morrow Country Store and on 2-1/4 miles past the store up to the top of Hale Mountain. Now follow the paved road for another 1/2 mile. The road will curve around to the left. At the end of a white/grey rail fence you should see our mailbox on the left with the number 18966 on it. Turn left just before the mailbox, and then you will find yourself facing 4 driveways. Take the 2nd one on the right, just around the left side of the two stone pillars. See the photos below.

If you're coming from Little Rock or points East on I-40, just go on to Van Buren and then follow the directions from there, above.

Got questions? Ask away... Big Grin

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, September 08 2009 @ 03:24 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Here's a view looking NE on Hale Mountain Rd as you approach our mailbox:

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, September 08 2009 @ 03:26 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Here's a view of the driveway area after you've made the turn:

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 09:54 am EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Wouldn't miss it for anything! Might bring a stew -
Mike

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 11:34 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Good deal! While I know Leonard's "Out-Of-This-World" ribs are unmatched, I'm planning on throwing some of my "Partially Famous Dave's" (not the restaurant chain) country style BBQ pork ribs on the grill for that evening. Who knows? It may be good!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Chuck Larson
 Thursday, September 10 2009 @ 06:28 pm EDT  
Forum Regular
Regular

Dave & Lora,
It is with deep regrets that Loretta and I will not be able to attend the Fall 2009 Star Party at your Diamond Bar G Ranch. We have really enjoyed to past star parties there and know how great the food, sky viewing, and great company of the AOAS members is at these events. We have another commitment that will not allow us to be in two places at one time. Thank you so much for your earlier invitation. Wishing one and all clear skies that evening.
Chuck & Loretta

Chuck Larson

Profile Email
LME
 Saturday, September 12 2009 @ 08:09 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

We'll be there! But I'm not telling what kind of vittles we are bringing, it's a secret... Wink

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Sunday, September 13 2009 @ 11:14 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: LME

We'll be there! But I'm not telling what kind of vittles we are bringing, it's a secret... Wink

Cool! I'm looking forward to learning what you have in mind! BTW - if you come earlier in the afternoon, I'm sure Lora would be willing to take the girls out to spend some quality time with the horses.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.15 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:29 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.