Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 02:09 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Light Pollution New Topic Post Reply
 Great Place in near Fayetteville to use a scope with little light pollution?
 |  Printable Version
Chief71
 Saturday, September 19 2009 @ 08:39 am EDT (Read 5404 times)  
Forum Newbie

Hello all- I was a member of AOAS when I grew up in Ft. Smith back in the late 80's. Since then, I moved to Fayetteville and just bought a Zhumell Z10 Dobsonian 10 in. scope. I am looking for suggestions for a great place/area to go within 30 miles of here with little light pollution. I am guessing that somewhere in the Boston Mts. would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Saturday, September 19 2009 @ 09:37 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Welcome to the AOAS website!

As for good places to observe within 30 miles of Fayetteville, I'd say anywhere in SE Madison County, South Newton County, or NW Johnson County would qualify. If you check Google Earth using the Artificial Night Sky Brightness overlay, you should easily be able to find a good place. See the story How Dark Is It Really? on this website for more info.

Of course, you might say I'm a bit biased about the BEST place within 30 miles of Fayetteville.

Wink Wink

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Chief71
 Saturday, September 19 2009 @ 04:03 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Thanks, I did see this article on the site. Pretty cool overlay for Google Earth. Thanks

Profile Email
benddontshatter
 Saturday, November 09 2013 @ 12:39 am EST  
Forum Newbie

I was going to post a similar question, but then I saw this and thought I'd bump it. Ever find a good spot? I'm new to the area myself. I finally have access to a scope (thanks to the club!) and with no winter star parties I'm itching to get out to some nice dark spots, check out the winter sky, and maybe do a little camping. Mulberry Mountain fits the bill pretty well, but I was hoping for someplace a tad closer.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:09 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.