Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 04:02 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 2 Upcoming Events
 |  Printable Version
tricks46
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 03:17 pm EDT (Read 5596 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Sept 26th will bring a good viewing or imaging opp. for us if we can get some skys. The comet 217P will pass over NGC1975. Better known as the running man it is the companion of the Great Orion Nebula. This comet will show for larger scopes and easly for ccd cameras.
The second view might be so so. On October 9th, NASA's LCROSS spacecraft and its Centaur carrier rocket will crash into a crater on the Moon.

It is thought that persons with a 10" or larger scope will possibly visually see the impact. The image shows the location at the southern pole taken with my 5" refractor at only 660mm with the Moon looking about like it will appear at impact time. Not sure if my equipment or any others will be enough or if any will see anything more than a flash (like a meteor hit) but might be worth a look at 6:30am our time on the morning of the 9th. I looked this morning and it will be dark enough. Wheather or not we can get right with the gods to get some skys is another story. Somebody needs to straighten up. These clouds have been goin on long enough. Rolling Eyes Eek! Wink
Good luck
Mike H

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/59090432.html

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 09:58 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update. Mike!

Both of these sound like good events to try for. I'm like you - I haven't seen any sky in a long time.

The Dry Day Long Range Forecast for Van Buren looks like Sept 26th may be OK for viewing. The same for Evansville (nearest station to where I live.)

The LCROSS impact does not look very promising at this point, however. The Dry Day Long Range Forecast for Evansville indicates Oct 9th will not be good. The same goes for Van Buren.

I may try for the LCROSS impact as my 12.5" should be big enough for that. However, Comet 217P on Sept 26th should be a good one. Hopefully, the weather will hold.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
LME
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:59 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I can't decide whether to view the impact with my own eyes or capture a 1000 AVI's or so with the web cam? Eek!

I've read that the plume could reach 30 miles high; wouldn’t that be visible with smaller telescopes? I just hope the weather staightens out...

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Saturday, October 03 2009 @ 04:46 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: LME

I can't decide whether to view the impact with my own eyes or capture a 1000 AVI's or so with the web cam? Eek!

I've read that the plume could reach 30 miles high; wouldn’t that be visible with smaller telescopes? I just hope the weather staightens out...

I have seen your great Lunar work and vote for recording it. After you record it you can watch it a thousand times and even show it to all your great great grand chrildren. Be nice to have one of the club members with there big scopes actually record the event. Lots of PR if you do record this in a movie. I have been thinking about getting the exact time cordination with spacecraft people. I would hate to see someone actually have the skys then somehow miss the timeline. Just not sure how long an impact plume or perhaps just a flash would last. Once again like the comet pass over orion, my working at 3:30am has me all messed up and I probably will miss it.
Mike
Wink Eek! Question

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Tuesday, October 06 2009 @ 04:21 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Profile Email Website
LME
 Wednesday, October 07 2009 @ 10:08 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

I'm begining to think that we're going to be shut out again... The weather man is predicting horrible weather thru Friday! Angry

Keep those fingers crossed!

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
LME
 Thursday, October 08 2009 @ 10:17 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Do you think if we all called NASA and complained enought that they might reschedule the impact for another not so rainy, messy, cloudy, gloomy day?

I'm blaming all this bad weather on Leonard's "Stolen (Almost) New Scope" you know, the one that has the cruise controll attachment, compass in the stock and portable super dome kit, with it's own satellite...!

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 04:13 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

OK...OK... I'll take the blame for the bad weather, but I didn't get all those other accessories........too expensive.......... Laughing Out Loud

I did set up to see the moon "Get Bombed".................But my dew shield filled up with water, BUMMER............ Rolling Eyes

nSpace01

Profile Email
LME
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 06:53 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

From what I've read so far, nobody saw any kind of impact plume, nada, zilch...

Clear Skies-Larry

Profile Email Website
poppafred
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 10:48 am EDT  
Forum Junior
Junior

Well, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I am glad at times that life isn't too predictable, it would take away all the excitement.

"The heavens declare the glory of the Lord.."

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:02 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.