Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 02:44 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 December 2003 Dinner Meeting
 |  Printable Version
dgrosvold
 Monday, November 03 2003 @ 01:38 pm EST (Read 9158 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

As our December dinner meeting approaches, we need to get organized about what everyone is going to bring for the potluck. I will be bringing both a broccoli casserole and Rotel dip & chips. The club is furnishing the meat as usual. We need people to bring vegetables, potatos, salads, desserts, bread or rolls, paper plates, cups, plastic flatware, and drinks. I'd like to suggest that each club member bring 1 or two 2-liter bottles of their favorite soda so that we have plenty of drinks, and each one gets what they need ( some need diet, some want non-caffienated, some need both.)

Anyone else?

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Monday, November 03 2003 @ 01:53 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Say, Dave, good way to get this done. I was trying to coordinate with Cathy about who's bringing what, but this would work just fine.

I'm bringing mashed potatoes and mustard potato salad.

Others are bringing many of the things you mentioned to begin with. A quick note to the members with eMail through the club might solicit more forum responses. That way, we'll all know where to look for the current list of items on the menu.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Dale
 Monday, November 03 2003 @ 03:16 pm EST  
Forum Regular
Regular

If 100+ people come to hear Dr. Sears, are we really going to try to feed them all? Should press releases mention a potluck dinner?

Should someone bring 5 loaves & 2 fishes? Rolling Eyes

Profile Email
jimfoster
 Monday, November 03 2003 @ 04:11 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

Dave,
I could bring paper plates, cups, and plastic flatware if you could give me your best estimate of how many will be attending. Thanks, Jim

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Monday, November 03 2003 @ 05:25 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Dale:

For some reason, I don't think we're going to get 100 people, BUT - I also think that if everyone brings something, and we see to it that we have plenty of meat, we should be able to feed 100 people. I've seen it done in churches many times. (Perhaps there's the reference to 5 loaves and 2 fishes. - Just make sure they're really BIG loaves, eh?)

Well, anyway - how many did we have in 1992 when Dr. Sears was here last time? It seemed to me that we fed everyone alright then.

Bob? Got any comments?

Jim - I'd suggest planning for 75, and we could run out to get more if necessary.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
jimfoster
 Monday, November 03 2003 @ 09:33 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

Count on me to bring paper plates, cups, and plastic flatware for 75 people. Let me know if I can help with other things not covered as meeting time approaches.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Kenny
 Tuesday, November 04 2003 @ 01:23 pm EST  

I can bring chips and dip and possibly a dessert if time allows. Let me know if I need to bring some drinks or something.

Chuck Larson
 Tuesday, November 04 2003 @ 03:06 pm EST  
Forum Regular
Regular

I will be bringing the following: sweet potato casserole and a scalloped corn casserole and a dish of cranberry sauce.
Chuck Larson

Chuck Larson

Profile Email
Anonymous: bobmoody
 Wednesday, November 05 2003 @ 01:19 pm EST  

Folks, we must remember that the dinner is only open to AOAS members! We, alone, will enjoy Dr. Sears for ourselves during the dinner, and the dinner must be over by 7. At 7, we will open the doors to the public and yes, we do need to advertise to the media, but only that the public are invited to Dr. Sears presentation, NOT TO DINNER!
Dr. Sears presentation will begin at 7:30 sharp!

bobmoody
 Wednesday, November 05 2003 @ 01:28 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

I don't think anyone has established that the dinner will start at 6 pm sharp! we'll eat and be cleaned up by 7.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Wednesday, November 05 2003 @ 05:36 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

As I looked at my first post, I thought it looked somewhat, well terse, but that's not how I intended it. Let me tell you my reasoning behind it.

Dr. Larson and I kicked around the idea of inviting the public to the dinner, and asking for a $10 or $20 per head/per plate to help raise some more funds. Chuck said that he'd seen circumstances similar to this where someone in the crowd complained about food poisoning after the event, probably just as a way to try to sue someone. We decided not to invite the public to the dinner portion of the event.
I even thought about trying to have the event catered, but that brings in other problems that, frankly, I don't want to hassle with.

This brings us to the decision that Dr. Larson and I agreed would be best for the club. That we have the dinner for AOAS members and as always, any guests that we invite or bring with us. We advertise that Dr. Sears presentation will be at 7:30, and the doors will open at 7 for the public.

We, as members and bearers of the food, should all strive to be at Creekmore Park at 6pm, maybe even a few minutes early, so that we can set the tables, start the line as close to 6pm as possible and eat our fill and do some clean-up before 7.

As always, this is NOT set in stone, and any problems that anyone sees with this tentative plan should post a reply and make their comments or statements known to all others.

We want to enjoy ourselves as we always do at our Christmas dinner/meetings, but we also want to open the doors to the public for the presentation by Dr. Sears. This will help us include this event in our in-kind payment to the parks service for our debt from the Pavillion in August.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Saturday, November 08 2003 @ 10:50 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Great News!

OK - Jim Foster - bring enough plates, cups & flatware for 30 people, not 75. We should have a good meal and company for this year's Xmas Dinner.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Jim Foster
 Thursday, November 13 2003 @ 03:15 pm EST  

I'll bring plates, cups, and plastic flatware for 30-35 people and bread, rolls, and butter.

Dale
 Monday, December 15 2003 @ 04:54 pm EST  
Forum Regular
Regular

OK, I hope I have this right this time - I'll bring 2 deep-dish pies, pumpkin custard and dutch apple w/crumb topping. Also, some paper napkins.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.11 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:44 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.