Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 06:12 am EDT

Forum Index > Astro-Imaging > Digital Imaging New Topic Post Reply
 Narrowband M42
 |  Printable Version
Pablo Rosell
 Thursday, January 07 2010 @ 12:06 am EST (Read 3219 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi guys,
Here's my first attempt with narrowband filters.
Tech data:
Imaging: DSI-2 Pro cooled on a WO-ZenithStar 66mm.
Guiding: PHD guiding using a Philips SPC900NC webcam on a 70mm customized Meade refractor.
Mount: Meade LXD75.
Frames: Ha15 subs@5m, 15@1m and 15@15s.
SII:15@5m and 15@15s.
OIII: 15@5m, 15@1m and 15@15s.
Exposure: Envisage. Registered on DSS and postprocessed on PS CS3 using Hubble's palette (Ha-red, OIII-green, SII-blue).

Best,
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Thursday, January 07 2010 @ 11:30 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Pablo. I like this really crisp image. Hope to put this area on the chip soon myself. I am setting up my ST2000 antiblooming camera now. The ST10 camera has way too many problems with the bright stars and with the new autoguider now working (shouldn't say that) the weaker camera should bring out the faint detail. Do you have this image saved somewhere in a larger size?
Mike H.

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Thursday, January 07 2010 @ 11:42 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Fantastic.................A real work of art................. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

nSpace01

Profile Email
Pablo Rosell
 Thursday, January 07 2010 @ 02:10 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi Mike, something cool about narrowband filters is that the stars remain small even with long exposures. (Kind of make sense since only a tiny portion of the spectrum is passing through the filters). The DSI also gave horrible big stars with the meade RGB filters.
The picture size is just the size of the DSI chip, except for a couple pixels cropped after aligning.
I could make a bigger image by applying a 2x drizzle, but for that to work properly I would need at least twice the subs.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Thursday, January 07 2010 @ 02:15 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Thank you Leonard Exclaimation

BTW, the palette used was not Hubble's (SII-R, Ha-G, OIII-B ) but the CFHT (Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope).

Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 03:05 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Here is M42 in RGB from the same data set.
This time the Red channel is obtained by mixing 100% Ha +33% of SII (both lie in the red part of the spectrum)
The green channel is OIII (which is green) and the blue one is synthetically obtained by mixing 100% of OIII and 33% of Ha. It's just crazy how much you can do with PhotoShop!

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 03:23 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Pablo -

I like this second image in terms of color from an aesthetics standpoint, but there is much more detail in the first image. These narrowband filters and Photoshop processing give us so many choices, but it's too bad we can't see this well with our eyes. I appreciate you sharing the details of these with us, so imaging newbies like me can learn.

The older I get, the more I want to get into imaging vs observing, simply because with cataracts beginning to form in my old eyes, I can't see nearly as well as I used to. I used to really enjoy visual observing, but even with my 12.5", I don't see as well as I did 10 years ago with the 8" I had then.
Cry

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:12 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.