Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:01 pm EDT

Forum Index > Astro-Imaging > Digital Imaging New Topic Post Reply
 Rosette Core in Narrowband
 |  Printable Version
Pablo Rosell
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 05:21 pm EST (Read 4343 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi guys,
Here is my attempt on the Rosette Nebula.

DSI-2 pro on WO ZenithStar 66.
20 subs@ 5min for each Ha, SII and OIII.
Ha Lum, Ha-R, OIII-G, SII-B.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 05:50 pm EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Wow Pablo - that's awesome! It looks so three dimensional. You need to post that on a larger site. Congradulations!
Mike

Profile Email
Pablo Rosell
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 05:59 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Thank you MikeExclaimation
As always I'm never sure which colors look better. Good thing NB colored pics are false color anyway Wink

Which one do you like better? the reddish one or this one?

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 07:29 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hey Pablo -

These are both great images. Overall, I like the second one better. The first one looks a bit oversaturated to me, and the highlights are blown out a bit too much to see all the details. However, I do like the red color in the first one as well. Hmm - tough choice. Good job!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 07:55 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi Dave,
My thoughts exactly. I like better the second one too. I'm just playing with the different combinations. In fact I'll post later an option for M42 where I map OIII to both green and blue, and makes it look more familiar.

Best,
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 08:37 pm EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Pablo - I like the second one, too. I cannot express fully how impressed I am with the quality of your work, particularly with the equipment you are using!
When are you going to set up a class on astophotography (I talkin' about a full blown cash project)?
Mike

Profile Email
tricks46
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 09:12 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: lrjarhead

Pablo - I like the second one, too. I cannot express fully how impressed I am with the quality of your work, particularly with the equipment you are using!
When are you going to set up a class on astophotography (I talkin' about a full blown cash project)?
Mike

I agree. Do some teaching - I'll be there.
Mike

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 11:23 am EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Pablo+Rosell

My thoughts exactly. I like better the second one too. I'm just playing with the different combinations. In fact I'll post later an option for M42 where I map OIII to both green and blue, and makes it look more familiar.

I will be VERY interested in seeing that! I also agree with the two Mikes - I would LOVE to see you teach a class on your techniques.

Perhaps sometime this spring? Big Grin

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 03:21 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Mike and Mike and Dave:

Eek! Eek! Eek! I am extremely flattered!!! Really!
Dave, I just posted the M42 with "familiar" colors in the other thread. Now I'll try to make one of the Rosette.
I'd love to give a talk about imaging for sure. I don't think I am capable of teaching but rather describing the process I run through to get an image.

Thanks a lot for the comments!
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 04:12 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Now the Rosette in synthetic RGB. This one I like a lot.
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Friday, January 15 2010 @ 05:13 pm EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Pablo,
I like your last image as well - but not as well as the second. The false color tells the viewer that is was taken with additional filtering that describes something of the images' chemical composition. However, the most important aspect of this photo has to be the fine focus that allowed such fine detail and depth of view. I've taken the liberty to save your second photo as my desktop background and added it as a power point slide for a presentation to my church group (if you don't object).
Mike

Profile Email
Pablo Rosell
 Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 02:38 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Dave, I'm sorry to hear about the cataracts. I really hope there is some procedure you could get rid of them in the near future.
Mike, again I'm flattered, please use them however you please!
And here is another combination. This time using the Hubble's palette. The color are totally surreal:

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 04:11 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Pablo. When you combine do you use add, average or median? In CcdSoftV5 which I use these are the 3 ways to combine images. I guess other programs might have other ways or terms.
Mike

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Saturday, January 16 2010 @ 06:20 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: tricks46

Pablo. When you combine do you use add, average or median? In CcdSoftV5 which I use these are the 3 ways to combine images. I guess other programs might have other ways or terms.
Mike

Mike, by combine you mean the color layers? In this case I combine them in Photoshop. There are two ways of doing that. Either you have all three grayscale open at the same time and then in channels you select Merge Channels and select RGB, or for more control you can follow the guidelines described here:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/stepbystep.html
This method allows to play around with levels, curves and even the color you assign to each layer.
Once you're happy with the colors you can then duplicate the image (so that you can keep the original for other tests) flatten it (Layers>Flatten Image) and apply the Noise and Blur I was talking about earlier.

Also, if you want to have smaller stars, you can use Select>Color Range, click on a bright star and move the Fuzziness level until you get most stars but nothing else. Then Select>Modify>Expand and choose 2-4 pixels.
Then apply Noise>Dust and Scratches somewhere around 5-10 pixels and the stars will almost disappear.
This is OK, because it is only the color layer, all detail is supposed to be carried by the Luminance. In any case it is easier to reduce the stars before applying the Noise and Blur.

Only after that, you apply the luminance layer. If in RGB you simply add the layer and change it to Luminosity or if in Lab Color you copy it to the Lightness channel.

Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.15 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:01 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.