Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 06:08 am EDT

Forum Index > Astro-Imaging > Digital Imaging New Topic Post Reply
 M13
 |  Printable Version
Pablo Rosell
 Wednesday, March 10 2010 @ 10:50 am EST (Read 3186 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi folks,
Here is M13. This time I used the red and blue meade filters. Only 9 frames @5min each per channel. The green channel was synthetic created. So in total only 1hr and 30 min of exposure. No flats or bias were used, only darks. I didn't remove the background gradient either. It turns to be quite hard with bright objects if you want to avoid clipping. Hope I can get a better one soon.
Best,
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Wednesday, March 10 2010 @ 01:53 pm EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Nice job Pablo! If I could shoot one that good I'd print it. Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Profile Email
Pablo Rosell
 Wednesday, March 10 2010 @ 08:28 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Thanks Mike.

I finally took the flats this evening. See what a difference they make!
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Wednesday, March 10 2010 @ 08:40 pm EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Pablo,
Wow, that made a world of difference! Check out Wade Van Arsdales' astroimages via CAAS.org - He has an image of M13 taken thru a TeleVue on an AP1200GT mount, using an SBIG 2000XM w/astrodon filters and adaptive optics and I can't see alot of difference in his versus yours. Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Thursday, March 11 2010 @ 11:50 am EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hi Pablo -

Very nice image! Which scope did you use for this one - your SN8 or the WO 66?

Dave

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Thursday, March 11 2010 @ 02:30 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi Dave,
Thanks! It was the WO 66. I kind of gave up with the SN10 (not 8) for photography. It is just way to heavy for my mount. Any, I mean any wind will shake it and make you lose a frame. Within a 5 minute window in Arkansas you will be hit by the wind, for sure. Wink

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Friday, March 12 2010 @ 04:54 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

SN10! SN8? What was I thinking? Big Grin

The fact that you are getting these great shots with a small refractor is very inspiring to me. Are you mounting ONLY the WO 66 on your LXD75? And if so, what are you using for guiding? I'm also curious about your observing location. Are you shooting these images in Fayetteville, or are you driving outside the city somewhere to set up. I'm curious about how much light pollution you're cutting through.

I know, I know. Questions, quesitons, questions. Rolling Eyes

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, March 12 2010 @ 08:15 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

I guide through a 70mm f/8.5 Meade refractor ($20 in ebay). I made a costumed tube that can hold the EV-1 Crayford focuser (originally used on the SN-10) with a Philips SPC900NC webcam. Before that, the crappy plastic rack&pinion (nothing better you can expect for $20) caused huge amounts of flexure.

I also made a custom dovetail with rings for mounting the scopes, as well as an extra ring for fixing the drawtube out of the WO focuser. This happened to be the principal cause of flexure after the guider's modification. Now I can be confident there is basically no flexure Big Grin

I'll try to post some pictures of the setup later tonight.

Oh, and yes, all the pictures, so far, have been taken in Fayetteville. This was the reason I wanted to start imaging with narrow band filters. With broadband filters it gets nasty, in my case, when the scope gets about 40 degrees and lower from the horizon pointing West.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Saturday, March 13 2010 @ 06:56 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Here is the setup (finally!):

The green cooler at the bottom left of the background happens to be the scopes case. I have them mounted permanently on the dovetail fixture and they fit perfectly in it Eek!

A detail on the dovetail. Nothing fancy, but rather sturdy:

And a detail on the cameras. On top is the WO 66-SD with a cooled DSI II Pro. Notice the little ring holding the draw tube from the WO focuser. The blue tube is holding the EV-1 focuser with a modded Philips SPC900NC:

Best,
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 03:32 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Fantastic Pictures..............I am using the second one as my current wallpaper...................

nSpace01

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:08 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.