Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 04:39 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Astronomy from Your Backyard New Topic Post Reply
 Comet C/2009 R1 - Notice!
 |  Printable Version
tricks46
 Friday, May 21 2010 @ 09:20 pm EDT (Read 5391 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hello all. For those that might not know about this comet, I want to take a minute to bring your attention to this. It is now at about the same distance from the Sun as Earth in the E-N/E sky and making a quick trip towards and around our star. Only a few weeks ago it couldn't to be seen from our location but is now visible with a small scope and has grown a tail which is getting bigger and brighter each day. Best view or the only viewing will be from 4am our time untill the light starts to wash it out. The moon is good for the next few days but the new moon around June 11-12 will be excellent if it doesn't come apart. It is quite possibly going to be naked eye and perhaps very impressive naked eye. Things must come together for a great show. I will try to post images when the weather allows which has been bad as you know. Good Hunting!
Mike H. Eek!

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 08:25 pm EDT  
Forum Elder
Elder

Thanks!
Mike B.

Profile Email
tricks46
 Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 09:31 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Smile

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 01:50 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Eek!

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 02:20 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Cool image, Mike! Is the second image a crop of a larger image (ie. were both images originally take at the same scale?) There is some very good detail in the second image.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 04:09 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Both images were taken with the same setup. Also both were a 1x1 bin of the pixels. The second image was taken without any filter and the first was taken through a clear filter with IR and UV block. The noise level is more without the filter but this crazy comet sets just above the distant tree tops in the hazzy muck and all ways possible are needed toimage it. The detail is more because the comet is really starting to crank it up as it approaches the Sun. Best viewing is about 4am our time if any want to use binoculars. Still have hopes of a tail at first light with the naked eye in a few weeks.
Mike Question

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 06:19 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

That is so cool! For this kind of events is for which I'd love to have a one shot camera!
Are you stacking the images with DSS?

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Saturday, June 05 2010 @ 06:37 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: Pablo+Rosell

That is so cool! For this kind of events is for which I'd love to have a one shot camera!
Are you stacking the images with DSS?

Thanks! I use CcdSoftV5 for stacking. Errors occur but a comet has bright areas that are not easy to aleign. Makes the stars not line up. Could probably do better with different software but I can't keep up with all I have. Laughing Out Loud I will switch to the TV60is this week so the FOV will cover the comet. After that the DSLR will be hooked to the TV60. I guess a ST2000xm and a 120mm camera lense could be used later. Idea So much stuff to remember.
Mike

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Tuesday, June 08 2010 @ 04:56 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Comet C/2009 R1 should put on a good show for us at the MMSP on Saturday and Sunday mornings. On Saturday morning, weather permitting, the comet will rise at around 2:30 am. It will be located in the vicinity of NGC 1245 near the western border of the constellation of Perseus at a estimated magnitude of between 4 and 6 (Naked eye visible).

nSpace01

Profile Email
tricks46
 Wednesday, June 09 2010 @ 05:07 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: nspace01

Comet C/2009 R1 should put on a good show for us at the MMSP on Saturday and Sunday mornings. On Saturday morning, weather permitting, the comet will rise at around 2:30 am. It will be located in the vicinity of NGC 1245 near the western border of the constellation of Perseus at a estimated magnitude of between 4 and 6 (Naked eye visible).

Hello. I hope you are able to look for this comet at the Mulberry get-together but let me say that this will not be easy from the level of the river. I don't know where the camp ground is exactly as I have not been up to that camp ground. I do know the area as I have hunted it all my life and it might be a good idea to go out Friday afternoon and find a high clear pasture to look for the comet. It sits low and a good sky to the N/E is important I am hoping to attend Friday night if work allows and will help with this if I make it. I have no doubt that if weather permiting this could be an excellent object to find with the probably 10 degree tail showing. Binoculars will be the best tool to see this vistor and will also show the tail best. Good luck to all and I will do a dance to the cloud gods for a break in the weather for all.
Mike Wink

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Wednesday, June 09 2010 @ 05:08 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: nspace01

Hello. I hope you are able to look for this comet at the Mulberry get-together but let me say that this will not be easy from the level of the river. I don't know where the camp ground is exactly as I have not been up to that camp ground. I do know the area as I have hunted it all my life and it might be a good idea to go out Friday afternoon and find a high clear pasture to look for the comet. It sits low and a good sky to the N/E is important I am hoping to attend Friday night if work allows and will help with this if I make it. I have no doubt that if weather permiting this could be an excellent object to find with the probably 10 degree tail showing. Binoculars will be the best tool to see this vistor and will also show the tail best. Good luck to all and I will do a dance to the cloud gods for a break in the weather for all.
Mike Wink

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Tuesday, June 15 2010 @ 12:20 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

A few of us got to see the comet through Jim Fisher's 80mm WO scope Mr. Green ...........a green powder puff with just a hint of a tail.........My 11" was hopelessly dewed up by then Cry ........3:30am Eek! .................

nSpace01

Profile Email
tricks46
 Wednesday, June 16 2010 @ 05:29 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Here is an image from June 13th. I might be able to capture the comet once more if the clouds alow me in the next 2 or 3 days. After that it will be gone. Cry Wink
Thanks, Mike

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Wednesday, June 16 2010 @ 05:40 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Great pic.........Looks like it has a split (ion) tail to the lower right............

By the way.............Mulberry Mountain is about 1,600 feet above sea level.

nSpace01

Profile Email
tricks46
 Sunday, June 27 2010 @ 05:56 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Here is the final image of this comet I will get. It is from the 17th and I already knew this comet was not getting brighter. At this link is a good detailed report about why.
http://transientsky.wordpress.com/
This was shot through some clouds limiting the processing to keep down the really bad stuff that would show.
Thanks for looking
Mike H.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:39 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.