Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 11:30 am EDT

Forum Index > Astro-Imaging > Digital Imaging New Topic Post Reply
 The bubble revisited.
 |  Printable Version
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, October 29 2010 @ 08:51 am EDT (Read 3082 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi guys,
Here's the bubble nebula. The data was acquired last week but hadn't have time to process it until now. The color scheme for this one was Hα for red, O-III for blue and a combination of both for a synthetic green channel. The luminance as usual comes from the Hα data.

Hope you like it, Pablo.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Friday, October 29 2010 @ 11:09 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Very nice! Doesn't seem like there's much data in the O III channel this time - of course, combining red in Ha and luminance channels could kind of upset the color balance a bit, I would think.

Seeing your images makes me wish I could get a good EQ mount for that WO 110 of mine so I can start doing some of this as well. I'm going to have to wait at least until spring, I think. Rolling Eyes

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Monday, November 01 2010 @ 07:56 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi Dave,
Thank you. I had the chance to get some SII frames and mapping them LRGB = Hα, Hα, SII, OIII i got the following:

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Tuesday, November 02 2010 @ 08:01 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

And here is what I consider the final version. It maps LRGB = Hα, Hα, OIII, SII.
Hope you like it,
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Saturday, November 06 2010 @ 01:44 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Great image Pablo! I do like the last one the best as it has the most detail, but without being too "edgy". The first image is more contrasty but it looks like some of the detail is lost.

So you're saying that you capture the SII frames on a different evening than the OII and Ha frames? Did you move the scope between sessions? If so, what stacking software do you use to get everything from subsequent nights in registration?

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Sunday, November 07 2010 @ 05:52 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Thanks again Dave, in fact each filter was taken in different nights, having to setup the equipment each time Evil
What is kind of permanent is the camera on the scope, so I don't need to rotate it each time. I try to keep it always as aligned as possible to the RA/Dec orientation: either when you move in right ascension the stars move horizontally, or vertically, depending on the object in question.

To get most of the frame from previous sessions aligned with the ones to capture, I use Envisage (the capturing software from Meade). It has a very nice feature: you can open previous images in a tab that overlaps exactly with the tab of the "live" session. Along with Envisage, there is a very simple, yet useful, application called "JAC Virtual CrossHair" that I overlay on a star from an image of the previous session to align the present one.

Then to stack all the subframes I use DeepSkyStacker. It allows you to choose a reference frame even when you don't use it for the actual stacking. For example, for this picture I stack the Hα frames and use one of them as reference for stacking both the OIII and SII frames.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Sunday, November 07 2010 @ 05:29 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Thanks for that info Pablo. That is something I've wondered about. I'll have to go about acquiring these software packages while I save up for my mount and camera.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Tuesday, November 09 2010 @ 04:31 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Dave, except for PhotoShop, every other piece of software I use is freeware. It would only make sense to use Envisage if your camera is a Meade DSI, else you will have to use whatever software comes with the camera you are to use.

If you are interested in getting familiar with DeepSkyStacker and post-processing, I can share with you some frames, darks and flats, so that you can run a session of DSS to register them and then PhotoShop to post-process them. If you don't have PhotoShop you might be rather interested in acquiring PixInsight, which I have read is way more powerful for astrophotography than PS.

Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:30 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.