Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 08:00 pm EDT

Forum Index > Astro-Imaging > Digital Imaging New Topic Post Reply
 The jellyfish nebula
 |  Printable Version
Pablo Rosell
 Thursday, December 09 2010 @ 12:13 pm EST (Read 3266 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi guys,
I had the opportunity to capture the jellyfish nebula in Gemini during two very clear nights. Since it didn't fit in a single frame a made a mosaic. I used 18 sub-frames of 15 minutes (4:30 hours total) in Hα for each piece.
The bright star at the right is Propus (η-Geminorum) which is on the left foot of Castor.
Hope you like it,
Pablo

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
dgrosvold
 Thursday, December 09 2010 @ 03:26 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hi Pablo -

I like it very much. Nice wispy details. There's an interesting diffraction pattern in the aura around Propus. Any speculation as to why it looks that way?

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Thursday, December 09 2010 @ 04:00 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

That is really Pablo. Due to a death in the family, I haven't been in the observatory in a couple of months but this looks like an object I would like to try. Any color on the way?
mike H.

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, December 10 2010 @ 11:04 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

@Dave: Thanks Dave! I think the way Propus looks has to do with processing. In order to enhance the nebula I always reduce the stars a little by selecting them and applying a minimum filter, then fade the effect somewhere between 30-40%. Later, to enhance the details of the nebula I apply some high-pass filters to copies of the image and overlay them to the original. You have to hide the stars on the high-pass layers to avoid bloating and possible black halos. Finally, after tweaking some more for "correct" (more like personal appealing) brightness and contrast using curves, I apply a little of noise reduction.

So, at the end, everything surrounding a really bright star is affected by all the processing. My guess is it should look pretty much "normal" if no nebula enhancing was done.

Here is the original image (bottom part) with just some curves to lighten it a little bit:

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Friday, December 10 2010 @ 11:19 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

@Mike: Sorry about those news Mike.
I hope to get the OIII and SII channels during the Winter break. (This means 4 more nights!) Now I'm pretty busy with the end of semester.
Hey, with the TeleVue and a bigger chip you might be able to take a wider view. There is very nice nebulosity to the "top-left" (NE) of the jellyfish. This way you might also be able to include μ-Gem a star as bright as Propus.

(From the first line of your reply: Are you implying I'm a jellyfish?? Wink )

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Saturday, December 11 2010 @ 11:27 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Quote by: Pablo+Rosell

@Mike: Sorry about those news Mike.
I hope to get the OIII and SII channels during the Winter break. (This means 4 more nights!) Now I'm pretty busy with the end of semester.
Hey, with the TeleVue and a bigger chip you might be able to take a wider view. There is very nice nebulosity to the "top-left" (NE) of the jellyfish. This way you might also be able to include μ-Gem a star as bright as Propus.

(From the first line of your reply: Are you implying I'm a jellyfish?? Wink )

Big Grin No actually I had Picaso in mind. You do great work .
Mike H.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:00 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.