Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 10:12 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Jupiter. Very first try!
 |  Printable Version
Pablo Rosell
 Saturday, January 07 2012 @ 05:36 am EST (Read 7273 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi guys,
Just got a Celestron Edge HD 800 for Christmas! Oh man this thing is a beauty!
Took it out last night to look through it. The views of Jupiter the Moon and M42 were astonishing. This is with the standard diagonal and 40mm plossl that came with the scope. Placed the 2.5X Powermate to get more power and you could see so much detail in both.
You now me. I couldn't resist and try to image some. So without any precise alignment and so much power (2032mm x 2.5 = 5080mm) Jupiter drifted pretty fast from the tiny sensor of my philips webcam. Anyway, here is what I could get Eek! Remember, this was an observing session, haha.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
ejbragg
 Saturday, January 14 2012 @ 02:45 am EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Wow, that's really awesome - especially for a "quick" shot, first try! There's some darned good detail in that shot. I'm assuming no layering or touch-ups?

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Saturday, January 14 2012 @ 10:27 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Well, no. This are the best (according to Registax) 300 frames out of around 1500 taken with a Philips 900NC webcam. They were stacked and enhanced using wavelets on Registax. Then color corrected in Photoshop.

The issue about not aligning precisely the mount is that Jupiter drifted from one side of the chip to the other pretty fast. I'm assuming the drift made it harder to get sharper single frames. There was also a moon in some frames but had to crop it out for the same reason.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
lrjarhead
 Monday, January 16 2012 @ 11:04 pm EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Pablo,
Great shot! Hope you enjoy the 8" HD - I've got one and like it a lot - Celestron doesn't have focal reducer for it yet, though did see where they've got one for the 14", with others to follow. I look forward to seeing some of your images through this scope when you actually get after it!
Warm regards, Mike

Profile Email
ejbragg
 Wednesday, January 18 2012 @ 03:05 am EST  
Forum Elder
Elder

Oh, I gotcha! Well, it's pretty impressive, nonetheless. I, too, am looking forward to seeing what you can shoot once you get a good calibration and lock... it looks as though that scope can be set up for auto-tracking?

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array." - Genesis 2:1, NIV

Profile Email Website
Pablo Rosell
 Wednesday, January 18 2012 @ 06:57 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Thanks Mike! I'm really enjoying it. The views are impressive. It is light weight enough for my LXD-75, and with the 2.5X powermate I got a good enough setup for planetary imaging and viewing.

I've seen there is a 0.62X focal reducer offered by Optec dedicated for the EdgeHD and Meade ACF scopes. Here is the link: http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=15316

Next project is to mount it along the WO-66 refractor for guiding. I'm considering side by side to reduce counterweight and try imaging some smaller objects. Meanwhile I'm happy with the opportunity to image planets and lunar craters.

Pablo - Fayetteville, AR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.06 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:12 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.