Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 12:11 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 May 20 eclipse
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Sunday, March 18 2012 @ 07:23 pm EDT (Read 2601 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, folks.

With the Annular Eclipse coming up at sunset of May 20, I'm writing a short blurb for my Facebook page to let my friends know about it and what thay'll see. On May 10, 1994, AOAS members split our forces to show that Annular Eclipse from three different locations, I was at downtown Ft Smith at Cisterna Plaza with Charlie McLane and Cathy Goodwin and we hosted approximately 700-800 visitors at the near-noon hour mid-eclipse. It was one of the more memorable moments of my life and I'm sure of many others including our visitors' lives. We also had members Joe Roam and (I think) Dr Larson in downtown Van Buren and another crew of members I can't recall at Muldrow, OK at the Middle School, I believe and please, pardon my memory lapses.

I have lost all my pictures of that day, something I deeply regret and miss. If anyone has any personal pictures from the 1994 Eclipse, please let me know and if possible, send me a scan or copy of it to use (and proper accreditation) for my pieces coming up on my facebook pages....heck, I may even try to recall how to write an article on here to post soon. HA!

Bob Moody

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Wednesday, April 04 2012 @ 11:07 am EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

Bob -

I remember that day as well. I was one of the crew set up at the train station in Van Buren, and we had a large number of visitors. I'm sure that if the weather holds this will be a spectacular sight!

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
nspace01
 Thursday, April 12 2012 @ 04:47 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what i've read, we won't see much here in Arkansas will we? Central Texas to the west>>>

nSpace01

Profile Email
nspace01
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 03:40 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

My Bad, I see your new artical now.................We may have to schedule a Solar Eclipse Watch Party.............I have solar filters for two of my scopes and I think Lora has one for the club outreach scope.......

We can discuss this tonight.

nSpace01

Profile Email
nspace01
 Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 05:47 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

On Friday nights meeting we decided to host a Solar Eclipse Watch/Star Party on Sunday, May 20, 2012, at our normal star party site at the Nature Center/Wells Lake.

We ask that anyone setting up a scope to view the eclipse have a proper solar filter that fits to the front end of the scope ( * NOT AN EYEPIECE FILTER!!! * ), and be setup by 6:30pm.

After sunset, we will have a normal Star Party as long as there are people to view.

nSpace01

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.06 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:11 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.