Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 05:31 am EDT

Forum Index > Equipment > Telescopes and Accessories New Topic Post Reply
 New scope. Did we do okay and what can we expect from it?
 |  Printable Version
Leah Havlik
 Wednesday, July 11 2012 @ 07:02 pm EDT (Read 11645 times)  
Forum Newbie

I hope this is okay for starter. It is an 8" Twin Star. We found it on Craigslist.

Profile Email
Devon Oxford
 Wednesday, July 11 2012 @ 11:19 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Congratulations on the new scope! It should do well for a starter scope... you should bring it out to one of our star parties, and any of our members should be able to help with any questions or problems you may have. It will work a bit better if it is pointed the other way than is in the picture, though... :-) . You are also welcome to ask me any questions you have.
Again, congratulations, and above all else, have FUN with it!

Devon

Gallifrey Observatory: http://devonsite.com 12' X 16' Observatory in OK, US 12' X 16' NetWorked/WarmRoom 12" LX200GPS Pier Polar Mount Mallincam Xtreme

Profile Email Website
Leah Havlik
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 09:10 am EDT  
Forum Newbie

Thanks! I will certainly bring to to the first star party. I definitely feel a little lost with it! I am completely new at this. I have ordered a few "beginner" books and have started my journey into learning but I know there is a massive amount of info and understanding to obtain and I am not even sure where to really start so I just decided to jump in. I Plan to be at the meeting Friday and can't wait to meet the group! -Leah

Profile Email
Devon Oxford
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 03:18 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

There is vast amounts of astronomy and telescope info on the internet, of course.... you can Google 'beginning astronomy' or such.
One program I would suggest is 'Stellarium' ( http://www.stellarium.org/ )... is is an excellent planetarium type program that will show you what is in the sky at any given time. Put in your location and tinker a bit with the settings... you'll like it! It is a very visually attractive program, not very big, and is totally free.

Have fun!

Devon

Gallifrey Observatory: http://devonsite.com 12' X 16' Observatory in OK, US 12' X 16' NetWorked/WarmRoom 12" LX200GPS Pier Polar Mount Mallincam Xtreme

Profile Email Website
Leah Havlik
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 09:57 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Thank you very much for suggestion. Part of the problem is that there is soooo much information that I don't really know where to start! So much of it seems so over my head at this point. I will check out that site for sure! I bought a "planisphere" which shows the stars and constellations for the hour and year at 42 lat which I think will be helpful but I don't yet have an eye for things and spent a few hours last night just trying gather some sense of it. Hopefully that will come with time and experience! If not, i will at the very least help inspire my two girls to have some interest in it. - Leah

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Friday, August 17 2012 @ 01:51 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hello, Newbie!

I'm a long time member of AOAS, and I've written a few articles that you may find helpful. One centers on how to become familiar with your new telescope by learning to adjust the finderscope to the telescope. In the topics section at left, click on "Telescopes", then look for my "Using a New Telescope -Part 1". Alternatively, you can click this link to the article.

http://www.aoas.org/article.php?story=20061225223734274

You'll learn how to become familiar with your scope in the daytime, which makes using it at night in the dark a LOT easier. I hope you get some helpful information from it.

Still seeing stars!
Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
nspace01
 Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 03:58 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Start off with the Moon and the brighter planets. This will get you familiar with the use of the scope........Veiwing moon alone will result in many sleepless nights!!!

We are having a Star Party on this coming Friday night at Wells Lake at the Nature Center............Bring your scope.............

nSpace01

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:31 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.