Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 07:38 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Hello AOAS Astronomy friends!
 |  Printable Version
jrfisher7
 Monday, August 20 2018 @ 04:12 pm EDT (Read 9920 times)  
Forum Newbie

I wanted to pop in and say hello. I hope everyone is well. I won't ask if anyone has been observing. The weather in Little Rock has been terrible all year for astronomy and I doubt its been much better in greater Fort Smith.

This past Friday I attended a work meeting that was held in the Janet Huckabee Nature Center classroom where AOAS used to meet. It brought back great memories. I recall attending several AOAS meetings there to include a great holiday banquet/potluck and the last time I spoke on behalf of IDA.

Yes, I am still very much interested in astronomy. Lack of time and too many clouds prevents me from doing much. No, I am not currently a member of CAAS. But I have remained close with Wade Van Arsdale and Don and Carolaina Ferren. Ironically none of us are current CAAS members. Don, Wade, Kathy and I observed last summer's Total Solar Eclipse together from Festus, MO. Wade and I are also into bicycling. We try to meet every Sunday morning for a bike ride along the Arkansas River in North Little Rock.

Clear skies! - Jim Fisher

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Tuesday, August 21 2018 @ 12:59 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hello, Jim! It's almost "good" to hear that CAAS has had so similar a time with bad weather. I'm also glad to hear Wade has been cycling with you. Personally, I can't seem to get up the effort to simply walk down to the mailbox as much as I used to. It's only about 1/2 mile round trip, but its a tough half mile. AOAS President Leonard Lynch is keeping the club going since many of us are still worn out from the 5-year run at our Coleman Observatory 2.0 site. Joe Roam, his cousin Ernie and I traveled to Columbia, MO for the eclipse last year. Hardly seems it's been a year since then already. We barely arrived in time as the first contact commenced within 15~20 minutes of arrival at some Mark Twain Nat'l Forest campground. It was everything I hoped for and we're waiting on the April 8, 2024 AR solar eclipse, HA! Just reset my Dell this evening and I'm beginning my re-establishment of my favorites files. That brought me to our website where I found the post you made. Looking forward to seeing you all someday, soon.
Take care, my friends!!!!

Bob Moody

Profile Email
jrfisher7
 Saturday, August 25 2018 @ 12:03 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Thanks, Bob! Great to hear from you. Big Grin

Profile Email
nspace01
 Saturday, September 08 2018 @ 02:41 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Great to hear from you!!! Laughing Out Loud

Don't be a stranger..............

nSpace01

Profile Email
jrfisher7
 Thursday, December 30 2021 @ 12:03 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great Christmas! I'm still in Little Rock. I still observe as often as I can. Wade Van Arsdale and I go to Mount Magazine 2 or 3 times year. Wishing all who see this clear skies and a healthy and happy 2022.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:38 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.