Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 01:45 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Last week's astronomy stuff
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Kenny
 Wednesday, May 05 2004 @ 01:43 pm EDT (Read 3007 times)  

Hi everybody.

Just thought I would mention that I set up my scope for my daughters girl scout troop last Tuesday. We had excellent views of Saturn & Jupiter and I also showed everybody Venus and ask each of them what they were looking at. Everyone said the moon but then realized where the scope was pointing. It really emphasized the fact of the changing phases of Venus compared to the moon. I also ordered some posters and used them for a presentation at several classes at the grade school. I think I could have been there several days just answering questions. Their enthusiasm on the subject was invigorating.

bobmoody
 Wednesday, May 05 2004 @ 07:40 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

VERY GOOD, KENNY ! I made a presentation to a group of nearly 100 kids and adults from Parkview Elementary on Monday evening at a Methodist Church Camp between Subiaco and New Blaine. They had borrowed the 8" telescopes from Izard Elementary, but didn't know to get the finderscopes and eyepieces for them.

We did look at Venus and Saturn and Jupiter, however, with the 20 pairs of binoculars from Izard. I was also able to give the entire group a demonstration of the Night Sky Network materials on "How We Find Other Planets" by the "wobble" method. I'll be posting that outing on the NSN site soon.

Since you are now another registered member of our AOAS/NSN presenters, Kenny, let's make every effort to try and make at least some kind of presentation every time we have the opportunity such as we had this week. We earn points for all our efforts at Public OutReach by doing so, and guess what, the winners of this first round of this contest will receive "GREEN LASER POINTERS". (Don't worry, we haven't had enough logged events to qualify this time) But we'll do BETTER next month.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: Kenny
 Thursday, May 06 2004 @ 01:37 pm EDT  

Bob, Do I need to register each outing and are there certain criteria to qualify on the night sky NSN stuff? Don't know how many outings I will be able to attend in the next few weeks. The rest of May appears to be very unpredictable with a possible trip to Indiana and a 50/50 chance I will be down in Chile at the end of the month. I have never seen the southern hemisphere skies, so that might be interesting.

R Parks
 Saturday, May 08 2004 @ 12:33 am EDT  
Forum Regular
Regular

I heard about the camping trip with the telescopes, but I didn't know that anyone from the club was helping out. My brother-in-law was on the trip.

Roberta

R Parks Alma, AR USA

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.06 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:45 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.