Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 08:53 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Comet hunting
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Kenny
 Wednesday, May 19 2004 @ 01:28 pm EDT (Read 4264 times)  

Pulled out the binoculars last night in search of the comets. Starry Night had one due west, well above and to the left of Castor and Pollux. At a magnitude of 1 . something I expected it to be easy to find. I do have some glow from Ft. Smith but Saturn and Mars were visible. I plan on taking Friday off so I will get the scope out Thursday night for a serious hunt. Any suggestions on where and how visible. I believe It was the Neat comet that i was looking for.

Marcus
 Wednesday, May 19 2004 @ 01:44 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

I had bad luck finding NEAT, too. What I thought was the comet turned out to be a star. I couldn't find anything that resembled a comet. But then again, the horizon was bad seeing and I have some city lights in the distance, so I may be unable to see the tail because of that.
Jupiter's rocking, though. So is Saturn.

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Wednesday, May 19 2004 @ 03:25 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Kenny. Yes, you were trying for comet C/2001 Q4 (NEAT). We saw it pretty well last Saturday here at Coleman Observatory. About 25-30 people were enjoying the view and most of us could see it naked-eye right next to the Beehive Cluster. If you plan to get out Friday evening, I hope you'll join us for our public observing session "Stars In The Parks" at Carol Ann Cross Park in Ft Smith.

Comet C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) should be low to the horizon on Friday, with Q4 still climbing above Gemini. There'll be a crescent moon joining the scene, too. Should make for a really nice astrophotography opportunity.

Later
Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: Kenny
 Wednesday, May 19 2004 @ 08:16 pm EDT  

I will be there with scope.

Marcus
 Monday, May 24 2004 @ 01:56 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

Just wanted to let everyone know I had a blast at the star party Saturday (if you couldn't tell!). The comet was underwhelming compared to Hale-Bopp and other bright ones I have seen, but observing it still was fun.
The seeing wasn't all that great at the party but I still saw more objects than ever before. My Messier run is on - I saw the Beehive, M13 and the Ring Nebula (thanks to Kenny's intrepid efforts) on Saturday and it was quite a joy.
Thanks for putting on a great event, folks.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.03 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:53 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.