Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 07:15 pm EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 BRILLIANT FIREBALL OF JULY 7 !!!
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Saturday, July 10 2004 @ 11:07 am EDT (Read 5429 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

On Wednesday evening, July 7 at around 9:15-9:30, a brilliant fireball was seen over several states. I've received reports from as far away as Orlando, FL about this huge meteor. From here at Coleman Observatory, Joe Roam, Larry McCarty and myself all saw the ground light up brightly and turned to the south just in time to see the final 1-2 seconds of the fireball. A police patrol dashcam running during a traffic stop caught the event as it happened. I have a report that states that the video may have originated in the Rowlett, TX area, just east of Dallas.

Since the meteor was so well seen and with our line-of-sight perspective from Coleman Observatory, that video of the fireball will be crucial in helping to determine the trajectory of the fireball.

If you witnessed the event, from anywhere over the southern states of the Gulf coast to Tennessee to any location westward as far as New Mexico, please contact me with your sighting at bobmoody@aoas.org, or leave a post here for all to see. I would appreciate it if you would give your name, location, direction you were facing when seeing the meteor, its altitude above the horizon, direction of travel, and any other pertinent information to help establish a trajectory. Every report will be treated confidentially and may help with my research into this spectacular event.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
lmccarty
 Sunday, July 18 2004 @ 04:29 pm EDT  
Forum Newbie

hey bob i guess that wasn't a firework after all Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Monday, July 19 2004 @ 11:46 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Confused I am curious as to the lack of reports of this brilliant fireball of the 7th of this month. If anyone would like to report to an official organization about this event without responding to our discussion topic, please feel free to do so.

Please go to our link exchange and click on "Organizations", then click on the American Meteor Society to file a report. Once on their site, choose the button to report a bright fireball and follow the form's instructions. Your report will remain anonymous unless the Society decides they need more detailed information for triangulating reports for possible search areas of any meteorites that may have fallen from this spectacular event.

I just filed a report with the AMS about the fireball myself. I have received some help from a Texas Police Dept regarding the video from an Officer's dashcam that recorded the event that evening. I encourage anyone and everyone who witnessed that fireball to file a report with the AMS through our link exchange.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Marcus
 Thursday, July 22 2004 @ 09:25 am EDT  
Forum Newbie

Bob -
Last night one of my church members told me about seeing the fireball. Seems he saw it pretty much from beginning to end and remembers its trajectory, the colors he saw and everything. If you want to contact him, email me and I'll give you his name and number.
mb

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.04 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:15 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.