Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 05:45 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Tribute to Doug Coleman
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Saturday, November 06 2004 @ 10:46 pm EST (Read 2579 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I received a letter and a donation in this week's mail from Col. Bill Strang, former commanding officer of the 188th TFG in Ft. Smith, and CO of the 188th at the time of Maj. Doug Coleman and Capt. Richard Lumpkin's F-4 crash in 1987. Col. Strang's letter moved me to want to share his words with everyone here in the forum.

The following is from Col. Strang's letter, and is used by permission.

Nov. 1, 2004

Dear Bob:

Slow in getting this note to you. Small donation - no acknowledgement or receipt needed.

I wish to thank you for your superb words in memorial to Doug Coleman in the 50th Anniversary Yearbook of the 188th Fighter Wing. Each time I read your article I feel humble and thankful to both you and Doug.

Doug was an unassuming and many talented young man whose accomplishments and contributions to his fellow man was very impressive, and would have been immeasurable had his life not been cut short.

Thank you for what you are doing.
Bill Strang

Col. Strang's mention of the 50th Anniversary Yearbook of the 188th containing my memorial tribute from our web site was a surprise to me, yet I feel so honored that they felt that something I had to say was worthy of being included in their Yearbook. When I asked Col. Strang if I might use his kind words in this topic, he agreed and informed me that he also had another copy of the Yearbook which he wanted to donate to the club library.

We in AOAS still miss Doug as much as almost anyone save for his wife and children. Col. Strang shares my feelings, and his support means so much to me and inspires me to continue doing whatever small part we can to assure that Doug Coleman will never be forgotten by the Arkansas Oklahoma Astronomical Society, and thereby will also be remembered by everyone in the Ft Smith/Van Buren area through our Coleman Observatory facility.

Thank You, Col. Strang

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.03 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:45 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.