Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 08:39 pm EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Last night's observing, asteroids
 |  Printable Version
Marcus
 Tuesday, May 17 2005 @ 09:49 am EDT (Read 5146 times)  
Forum Newbie

Last night was very clear. If the moon hadn't been so bright, I could have seen a lot more. I saw M35, M36, M37, M38, M92, and the highlight of the night, M51 (the Whirlpool Galaxy). M51 took some effort to see. Though I knew I had my scope on the right place, I had to use averted vision and really concentrate to see it, but eventually I could make out its nucleus and traces of the bands around it. Absolutely amazing.
Here's my question: last night I also, on a lark, decided to use the "go to" feature of my ETX to see an asteroid, something I had never done. It pointed to an object that I think was 1 Ceres, but I'm just not sure. Without observing an asteroid night after night and seeing its movement, how can one tell if what he's seeing is truly an asteroid? It appeared like a large, bright star (though solid and a bit disc-like) in my eyepiece, but was invisible to my naked eye.

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Wednesday, May 18 2005 @ 12:49 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Marcus, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you'd have to actually see some movement to know beyond a shadow of doubt that what the ETX centered for you was indeedactually Ceres. The only other possibility would have been to have carefully studied a star chart of that area for the moment of the observation.

As you asked the control pad to "Go To" Ceres, it should have made a quick calculation of what the sky looked like at the exact moment you were viewing, and then your "Go To" button caused the scope to slew to the suspected area. Asteroids are like planets, always moving against the background of stars, and everything that moves on the celestial sphere MUST be calculated to determine where the object would be at a specific day/night and time.

I applaud you for trying to see Ceres. I have never, to my knowledge, actually seen an asteroid. There's an entire branch of astronomy utilizing amateur astronomers to watch for occultations of background stars by foreground planets or asteroids. The governing organization of this field of amateur research is called IOTA, the International Occultation Timing Association. Their work actually reveals the shape of most asteroids according to where a participating observer sets up. Observers are generally scattered precisely along a line at some location (such as a long stretch of highway with mile markers) and their reports are analyzed to produce an object's profile, or shape. Very interesting, but tedious work.

Sounds like a good topic for a website story, hint-hint! But I hope my explanation has helped in some way.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Marcus
 Wednesday, May 18 2005 @ 11:12 am EDT  
Forum Newbie

Your wish is my command!

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Wednesday, May 18 2005 @ 11:31 pm EDT  

Do you know what the current magnitude Ceres is running?

Marcus
 Thursday, May 19 2005 @ 09:04 am EDT  
Forum Newbie

Jon - According to heavens-above.com, Ceres is currently at Mag. 8.7.

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Thursday, May 19 2005 @ 05:13 pm EDT  

Thanks!

Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:39 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.