Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 05:14 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 (2006)
 |  Printable Version
Tomek
 Thursday, November 10 2005 @ 10:57 am EST (Read 4209 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

I would like to ask astronomers what about what is result of obserwation of this comet in this moment .

Are this comet have still 3 components , and could it have 2 mag in may 2006 like we can see it here

http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0073P/2006.html

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Thursday, November 10 2005 @ 03:44 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Rolling Eyes I am not an expert on comets, but after checking the link you provided, it appears that periodic comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 will reach perihelion on June 6, 2006. It should attain 2nd magnitude (+/-) around two-to-three weeks before perihelion.

It should be at least 3rd magnitude when it begins crossing through the constellation of Hercules on May 1st/2nd. It will pass rapidly through Lyra close to the Ring Nebula (M-57) on or about May 8th/9th, through the "neck" of Cygnus on May 10th/11th, Vulpecula on May 12th, onward through the neck of Pegasus on May 17th and through the "Circlet of Pisces" on May 22nd. It is expected to be 2nd magnitude as it passes rapidly through these latter constellations.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that it lives up to these expectations, that the moon will not interfere with the viewing, and that our own comet photographer, Mike Holloway, gets lots of great pictures as 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 "does its thing" for Earthly observers this next spring and summer.

I am not aware of this comet having "three components", although I see by the information on the link that, indeed, three components are listed. I'm sure every amateur astronomer will be kept well informed by articles in both Astronomy magazine, and Sky & Telescope, as well as possibly Night Sky magazine. If it reaches 2nd magnitude, everyone in dark locations will be able to see it with the naked eye.

Bob - Coleman Observatory

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Tomek
 Thursday, November 10 2005 @ 04:07 pm EST  
Forum Junior
Junior

Thank you for answer .

Profile Email
tricks46
 Sunday, November 13 2005 @ 12:44 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

The comet has been recovered. Faint at 19th mag(+-). I have tried once for the image but cordinates were different from my program cordinates. Should start putting this comet on the chip within a month with good pre-dawn skys. Will post images at the AOAS sight when captured. Thanks, Mike H.

Profile Email Website
Tomek
 Sunday, November 13 2005 @ 01:59 pm EST  
Forum Junior
Junior

thank you for answer

Profile Email
tricks46
 Sunday, February 26 2006 @ 08:47 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

I imaged two comet last night 02/26/2006. Comet 73P component C is very visible in the image. Comet C/2006 A1 has now become visible in the northern half.
Thanks, Mike Holloway

http://www.fototime.com/E33252A4996F15C/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/FA68C8D57729CDF/orig.jpg

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:14 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.