Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 01:52 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Off-Topic New Topic Post Reply
 Need Observatory Name
 |  Printable Version
tricks46
 Sunday, December 04 2005 @ 10:38 am EST (Read 3220 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

I need to name my observatory. It is not finish inside but I am imaging from it. Thought about using my own name although this seems a bit vain. I welcome any sudgestions. One idea I had was "Widows Walk Observatory" even though it is not by the water. I also have been working on an imae to be used for avatars and such. All things in this are real except for the deer (couldn't resist). I welcome ideas so let me know. Have a good holiday season. Mike Holloway

">here

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Saturday, December 10 2005 @ 01:51 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Mike.

I understand when you say it's difficult to come up with a good name for your observatory. I just thought I'd throw out a few ideas, in hopes of getting others to do the same. Hopefully, you'll find one that "fits" for you.

Some of my initial ideas have been maybe, Uniontown Observatory, or Border City Observatory along the FS theme, maybe something associated with the hill or ridge you live on if you know what that name might be. Uniontown has a better ring than Cedarville or Van Buren also.

Maybe Crawford Co. Observatory? There are several observatories in Crawford County, but most of those owners aren't interested in letting the world in on their chosen pastime so no one would complain about using the county name.

Keeping with the stellar themes, maybe Stellar View Observatory? or how about Starlight Observatory? Comet Observatory doesn't work but that's your primary interest in the night sky. But maybe Komete Observatory, or Comete, which are pronounced (Koh-met'-ah) and mean literally "hairy or bearded" in Latin (I think) but the "K" spelling is the Germanic spelling.

Maybe Razorback Observatory if you're a big HogFan. How about WestArk Observatory now that WestArk College has changed to UA Fort Smith.

Personally, I like Holloway Observatory fine. But I also understand the importance of a good name. We got lucky with Coleman Observatory, which has just sounded good ever since we first decided to name it after Doug. We felt that Douglas C. Coleman Memorial Observatory was a little too long, and that also reminded us of some of the difficult times associated with our original site, so we just changed it to simply Coleman Observatory when we moved here in '93, and that works quite well for us. At least that's my opinion.

I hope others will reply and suggest some more names. As I said it isn't easy to find a name that "fits" for you, and you are who has to be happy with what to call your personal observatory.

Good luck, Mike. If something else crosses my mind I'll reply again, though.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Tomek
 Saturday, December 10 2005 @ 01:00 pm EST  
Forum Junior
Junior

For me it will be dificult to tell anythink in this subject of the name for obserwatory anyway I can give good links to polish amatours astronomers who put their pictures on 3 forums here in Poland if somone is interesting to see here are the links

http://astro4u.net/yabbse/index.php?board=5.0

http://astro-forum.org/Forum/index.php?showforum=5

http://www.astronomia.pl/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, December 13 2005 @ 05:55 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hey, Mike!

I'm not familiar with your location, so it would be hard for me to come up with an appropriate name. "Widow's Walk?" - is that a nearby geographic feature?

Incidentally, I don't think it would be vain of you at all to name it after yourself, but that's just me.

How about "Western Arkansas Comet Observatory?".

Big Grin

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
tricks46
 Wednesday, December 14 2005 @ 05:39 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hello All! I found the "Widows Walk" while reading up on observatories. A "Widows Walk" is an outside balcony build on the upper level of a house overlooking the sea and was used by the wives of sailor's to watch for there return. Of course many didn't return. This cought my attention and just stuck in my mind. I sometimes get a lonely feeling as I watch a comet cross the sky before disappearing and think that they must have also had a similar experience. Not very scientific but it was just an idea. Cheers!! Mike

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Wednesday, December 14 2005 @ 10:27 pm EST  

I'm personally not good at coming up with names. I don't think it would be vain at all to use your name.

Maybe you could use Widows Walk Comet Observatory.

tricks46
 Sunday, December 18 2005 @ 12:23 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Thanks for the great ideas. Received lots of ideas and email. Decided to keep the name and add comet to it. Worked out an image which will be my avatar and future ID Image. I am also opening 4 of my storage file to the public. The link will take you to lots of comets. I hope all have a great Holiday Season and a safe New Year!
Thanks, Mike Holloway

Holloway Comet Images

ID Image

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:52 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.