Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 10:11 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Light Pollution New Topic Post Reply
 What, no dark skies for us?
 |  Printable Version
ed wemmerus
 Tuesday, December 13 2005 @ 07:31 pm EST (Read 2688 times)  
Forum Regular
Regular

I just went to the International Dark Sky Association and looked to see if there were any organizations in Arkansas that were members. To my surprise, there were none listed as being members. I think that this is shameful and want to recommend that we be the first in Arkansas to join and support them in their attempt to help solve the light pollution crisis that is affecting our state, our country, and our world. We have already take the first steps by deciding to give certificates of appreciation to those businesses and individuals that are helping to remedy this situation by installing DARK SKY friendly lighting, so maybe we should think about joining the International Dark Sky Association as a means of support for our shared goals.

Just some rantings from the field, but I had to say it.

Ed W.

Always look for the answer to the questions you do not know.

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Wednesday, December 14 2005 @ 09:48 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Ed.

It's interesting that you went to the IDA site and they didn't have us listed. We've been members since last year about 10 months ago.

I would have thought that they should have us listed by now so I think we should start sending them email queries asking why we aren't listed as the ONLY Arkansas organization that IS A MEMBER of IDA. If you are an AOAS paid member, go to IDA and examine their excellent site at www.darksky.org. Then, send them an email to ida@darksky.org to remind them that AOAS is a member and could they please list us as the only AR member organization.

Let's just send them friendly messages asking why we aren't listed. It may be that they simply overlooked it, or they may not update their site often enough. Either way, we should be listed since we sent in our dues check and are receiving their newsletters.

Thanks for noticing, Ed. We need to help them realize that we ARE for Dark Skies in NW Arkansas.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.04 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:11 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.