Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 12:23 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 Suggestions on someone interested in Astromony
 |  Printable Version
AlanDiamond
 Monday, December 12 2005 @ 07:40 pm EST (Read 5213 times)  
Forum Newbie

I am interested in learning more about astronomy. I have been reading books, mags, surfing the net. Any suggestions? Any upcomming meetings? Also any viewing parties? I dont own any equipment and would imagine that would be a good way to see different scopes.

Thanks
Alan

Profile Email
AlanDiamond
 Monday, December 12 2005 @ 08:25 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

nm

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Tuesday, December 13 2005 @ 02:44 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi,
You are asking the right questions and wanting to start exactly as I usually recommend. Our calendar of events always lets you know when and where we are having observing sessions, and until February 4th, all our observing will be done here at Coleman Observatory. That evening of the 4th, we begin our "Stars in the Parks 2006" events for the public at Carol Ann Cross Park in Ft Smith, AR. I have one event scheduled for CAC Park each month through September, when we'll hold TWO events on 9/02 and then on 9/30.

Keep reading, and surfing will give you lots of information, too. Many people start out with binoculars, and quite a few start with their eyes alone. One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is to go out and spend ungodly amounts of money on all kinds of equipment and when it doesn't turn out to be as "simple" as the salesman said it should be, they throw up their hands and give up.

Come to several outings, look through several sizes and types of telescopes, and ask EACH owner why they chose their particular telescope. You'll wind up making an informed purchase that way, whenever you finally decide to jump in all the way.

I think you'll find our group to be very friendly. We want to help you get all you can out of whatever you expect from amateur astronomy. You're already an amateur astronomer by simply looking up at a beautiful night sky, and wondering what else you might find there.

I look forward to meeting you.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
tulsawalk
 Wednesday, December 21 2005 @ 11:10 am EST  
Forum Newbie

Bob is very right about getting involved with a local club.

As for the surfing suggestion; May I suggest www.cloudynights.com? You can spend years on this sight alone and not read everything. It combines equipment reviews and observing articles with a discussion forum.

As its' name suggests it is a great place to spend a "cloudy night".

mike

Mike Moffatt 6" Cooper Tube Newt/Dob Celestron 15x70 Skymaster

Profile Email Website
AlanDiamond
 Wednesday, December 21 2005 @ 01:22 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

Thanks!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.06 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:23 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.