Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 02:01 pm EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Use your computer to look for STARDUST!
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Monday, January 16 2006 @ 11:39 am EST (Read 1771 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Stardust is the NASA/JPL mission to retrieve microscopic dust samples from both an active comet Wild 2 (pronounced Vilt 2) and from interplanetary space! You have an opportunity to search through a literal mountain of images from the StarDust project scientists which will be made available to volunteers who will be chosen to participate in this public/professional collaboration.

The scientists will take hundreds of millions of images, each smaller than a grain of salt, and people who are recruited to help analyze these images will become a part of the scientific team that will find the first ever dust grains brought back to Earth by the StarDust sample return capsule which landed successfully early Sunday morning in Utah.

Go to this link:

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2006/01/10_dust.shtml

where you will read how to participate in this project. You must qualify to be selected to participate and this is the first step towards that participation. You will submit your email address and then you will be contacted by the science team to determine whether you might qualify for participation. You must start here, but if you are chosen, and if you are one of the few hundred people whose computer actually "sees" one or more of these dust grains, then YOUR NAME will accompany the scientific paper that will eventually be published concerning the analysis of these dust particles.

This is a rare opportunity and I encourage every AOAS member to participate.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Saturday, January 21 2006 @ 01:33 am EST  

I have entered my name into the list and I encourage everyone to do so also. Help be a part of history!

Content generated in: 0.03 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:01 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.