Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 06:34 pm EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 PETITION FOR NASA TV ON COX CABLE
 |  Printable Version
Gerald Gentry
 Monday, January 16 2006 @ 05:11 pm EST (Read 11714 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

I understand that cable TV in Little Rock has NASA TV.

How does the club feel about a petition to ask COX COMMUNICATION to add NASA TV to our cable?

Gerald

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Monday, January 16 2006 @ 06:27 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Gerald.

That sounds like a good idea. The only concern I have is if there is such a process in place to bring about such a change in their programming? How many individuals will have to sign up for them to consider it? Is there a concerted effort to do this?

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Gerald Gentry
 Monday, January 16 2006 @ 07:06 pm EST  
Forum Junior
Junior

Hi Bob,

Just testing the water, to see how others feel.

Gerald

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Monday, January 16 2006 @ 10:21 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Gerald.

I'm afraid there are very few places that could possibly be worse for "testing the waters" than our website. We have the least response from our membership of probably any other astronomy club in the country. We've all wondered why that is, and if you can figure it out, I'll personally give you $100, but I fairly certain my money is safe.

Why DON'T our members, even the people in the Ft Smith/Van Buren area and others from around this area of the country make more remarks on our site than what do?

I don't know. But it's a relatively foregone conclusion that there might be 100 or more people who'll see this forum topic, but I'm willing to bet you that no more than 6 people, different people, will ever answer this question you ask....do you want to see a NASA channel on Cox?

Let's just let this go and see if there are even enough people who'll try to make a liar outta me? Bet they won't! It'll be something if they do though. Ha!

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: kc2iyh
 Tuesday, January 17 2006 @ 05:00 pm EST  

It was NASA TV that my wife used to convince me to leave COX and go with DishNetwork. if Cox carried NASA TV, The Science Channel and offered Digital Telephone Service, I would be back in a second.

rlportman
 Tuesday, January 17 2006 @ 09:40 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

A petition, or contact of any kind could only help. I e-mailed Cox Communications today and they simply forwarded my inquiry regarding NASA TV availability to their programming department. I would love to watch it on TV instead of the internet.

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Wednesday, January 18 2006 @ 12:35 am EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

You guys were just waiting for me to say that no one ever responds to discussion forum topics to start responding, weren't you?

HA!

I figured as much......just kidding.......You know, that's something I know nothing about other than the fact that there is a NASA TV. I've never seen it. I've had a couple of vhs tapes given to me with something from NASA TV on it, a program or a special moment like when Huygens probe was about to land on Titan last year. Most of that event was somewhat boring since all the waiting around is also broadcast. There's no editing is there?

I guess I really don't know what I'm missing. The Science Channel, the Learning Channel, the History Channel, and Discovery Channel I have seen, however, and I like those. Is the Science Channel the only one not on cable here?

Richard mentioned that his email awas forwarded to the Programming Department, and I'm wondering, what will happen to it from there? Have petitions ever done any good that anyone knows of?

Bob Moody

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Thursday, January 19 2006 @ 01:47 pm EST  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yup -- we were! Rolling Eyes

I've had Dish Network for so long I can't remember when we started. I think it was back in 1998. They have ALWAYS had more programming choices than COX cable - and I have NO need whatsoever for Tulsa or Little Rock news channels. It took quite a while for Dish Network to pick up the local Fort Smith stations, but I found that I could get along without them. I was more interested in the NASA channel, the Science Channel (I just got done watching the Cosmos series again - it was offered in December on the Science Channel.), RFD_TV (love them horse shows..,) and som many others. There's just no comparison. I'm sure DirecTV is the same.

I have DSL, so there's no need for Cox Internet either. That would be a consideration, and may be when I get relocated up to Morrow, AR. Problem there is - there's no COX up there, either!

On the other hand, I don't have any problem petitioning Cox to add programming, but I'm like Bob - I don't think it would help unless they got a national-level response. I don't know how many channesl yo get wiht Cox Digital cable these days, but I'm sure it's not the 500+ that I get on Dish Network (remember Springsteen's "57 Channels and nuthin's on?" Now it's 500 channels and nuthin's on!! HA! Eek! ) Anyway - I'm game to try, anyway.

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Saturday, January 21 2006 @ 12:40 am EST  

We have everything with Cox and I think we've got 300+ channels.

I would really like to see NASA TV on Cox, I also would petition Cox for this, and I know others who would do the same.

lmccarty
 Thursday, February 16 2006 @ 12:37 am EST  
Forum Newbie

i would like to see nasa tv on cox. i only watch the science channel now. i have about 20 hours of shows on my dvr.

Profile Email
R Parks
 Friday, March 17 2006 @ 10:15 pm EST  
Forum Regular
Regular

I have Cox Cable and I wish that I could get the NASA channel. Just let me know what to do if anyone finds out anything. Surely we could get rid of 1 of the shopping channels to have room for it!

R Parks Alma, AR USA

Profile Email
Chuck Larson
 Wednesday, March 22 2006 @ 10:55 pm EST  
Forum Regular
Regular

Big Grin
Well Bob, I might as well get into this discussion and make that liar out of you.
Ya, I finally got my AOAS webmail to work.
I would be one to like to see Cox add NASA TV to the FS/VB area cable. Not so
much for myself but for others. I do not have Cox cable since I refuse to pay for
something that will not provide the programs that I am interested in. With what
they charge I would find Dish or similar a better bargain. I do have access to Dish
at my other residence. I would support any petition to Cox, but from my past
experiences with them they certainly do not have much respect for working with
their customers (at least not me).
I thought Cox was being bought out by some other larger organization. Has that
happened or going to happen??? Maybe that will have a bearing on them listening
to any petitions.
Chuck L.

Chuck Larson

Profile Email
JimEdwards
 Thursday, March 23 2006 @ 02:13 pm EST  
Forum Newbie

I would like to see it. Cool

Profile Email
 Sunday, March 26 2006 @ 11:22 pm EST  

I've heard Cox has Nasa TV in Wichita.

bobmoody
 Monday, May 29 2006 @ 01:46 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

GUESS WHAT! NASA TV can be downloaded on your hi-speed cable or DSL lines. Go to:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060529.html

Which is Astronomy Picture Of the Day for May 29th, and you'll see how its done. Cox may not have cared whether you get NASA TV or not, but NASA TV has made it easy (I think) to get it without any cable company.

Someone try this out and tell me whether it's a reality or not.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
 Monday, May 29 2006 @ 09:32 pm EDT  

Yes, I've used it before to watch the impact on the comet and other stuff. You have to have a high speed connection to make it worth while. If you have dial-up it probably won't load or stay loaded.

remhill2003
 Wednesday, May 31 2006 @ 07:58 pm EDT  
Forum Junior
Junior

I've got the nasa channel on directtv,I don't know what cox is charging for their service,but DTV is onlyabout 40.00 a month,my daughter had cox & they left due to high cable bills,I've never had any problem with DTV reception or otherwise & am very satified,so if you want the nasa channel maybe DTV would be an option to look at

Rick

Profile Email Website
 Thursday, June 01 2006 @ 10:34 pm EDT  

We have Cox Digital Cable, I really like it. Direct would probably be the same for us, because we have all 300 channels. Another thing about Direct, they don't have a high speed modem in all areas, and that is a must have.

Content generated in: 0.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:34 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.