Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 05:54 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Light Pollution New Topic Post Reply
 LP article in Carroll County News
 |  Printable Version
arkozarks
 Tuesday, May 16 2006 @ 12:57 pm EDT (Read 3705 times)  
Forum Newbie

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Tuesday, May 16 2006 @ 05:44 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

They almost got it right.

In the article I am quoted as saying that I've recently been trying to find a comet, and it leads the readers to believe that I'm trying to see it from within city limits, which I'm not. Coleman Observatory is a fairly dark location with a little less than 12 outdoor lights within a square-mile area. When I spoke with the paper's reporter last week, I mentioned that I couldn't see the comet because of MOONLIGHT which acts like light pollution to degrade from some of the dimmer things that amateurs try to see, like that comet.

I'm glad to see that they ran a story about this issue, and it's not all that misleading to have misquoted me as they did. I can live with that, because the story strikes at the real issue at hand.....we all need to point our lighting fixtures at the ground, and not up into the sky!

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
arkozarks
 Wednesday, May 17 2006 @ 10:47 am EDT  
Forum Newbie

At least they ran the article, and it was on the Front Page of the print edition with photo. It helps raise awareness of a problem that many have never given much thought about.

The newspaper Lovely County Citizen in Eureka Springs has run articles mentioning the shielded lighting law. I've also been told that the editor of the Citizen is pro-dark sky lighting.
Article 1
Article 2

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Friday, May 19 2006 @ 12:27 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Excellent! The more on our side the better. I feel that if there's any one single town in Arkansas might have a really feasible chance of adopting some type of meaningful light pollution reduction law, Eureka Springs just might be that town.

Please keep all of us informed on these things as they proceed.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Friday, May 19 2006 @ 01:17 am EDT  

Nice article, and I think the point gets across. It's hard living near the big shopping center in Van Buren, it ruins almost all of the northern sky and part of the eastern sky.

I personally don't know why they have all the lights shinning in the sky, I don't see how that is good security. The only thing that will help us is a blackout and I don't want that.

Content generated in: 0.03 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:54 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.