Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 05:18 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Solar System New Topic Post Reply
 Mini Star Party
 |  Printable Version
remhill2003
 Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 05:41 pm EDT (Read 1543 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

I had recently been talking to some of the people at work about my interest in astronomy,several had expressed an interest & asked what things looked like & what could be seen through a telescope.On june 14th I took one of my scopes to work,I set this up for viewing later in the night & we looked at the moon & jupiter,(its' so light polluted here that's about all we could see)everyone seemed to be impressed by what they could see,while looking at jupiter & four of the moons I moved the scope a little & we were able to see a fifth moon,we only had thirty minutes of time to observe but it was long enough to give everyone a few minutes each at the eyepiece,I'm going to have to bring the scope back soon though,everyone wants to see more!I told everyone that they need to come to CAC sometime or to the observatory some weekend where they can view for a longer period of time,a few expressed interest in doing this & maybe joining AOAS

Rick

Rick

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:47 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Hi, Rick

This post remind's me of me......I've taken a telescope with me to work on jobs from time-to-time when I was still a pipefitter. It's always fun to see your fellow workers enjoying something like this for the first time. What was really cool was seeing all the notoriously "blind" welders at Shady Point AES building looking for Venus in broad daylight on their own back in 1989-1990 after I told them how to find it themselves.

This evening, Dr. Jim Belcher, Chair of the UAFS Physics Department brought his Summer I "Fundamentals in Astronomy" class members to Coleman Observatory for a couple of hours. WE, too, had a great time seeing Saturn before it got too close to the horizon to even be seen again. By this time next week it'll be gone until about mid August when it'll rise in the east before sunrise and start it's pattern through the constellations all over again. Jupiter was great, too, and many of the students could see mottling in the cloud belts, and we all got to see Io as it rapidly moved towards the planet's limb.

It's showing others what we've seen so many times already that gives me the most satisfaction these days. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't share this great hobby with as many people as they can, but just look at our current poll question and see the ratio of how many folks do, or DON'T, share with as many friends and family as they can. Sad to say, we even have one person who posted the fact that they choose to ONLY share astronomy with their immediate family members, and I guess to heck with everyone else.

I'm glad, and I'm eternally thankful, for those people in the poll who choose to announce that they want to share our hobby with everyone. Most of our members are that way, and we have some doggedly determined astronomy "nuts" in our group, and I am SO proud to be their "chief nut"!

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.04 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:18 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.