Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 03:27 pm EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Deep Sky New Topic Post Reply
 One "cool" July evening
 |  Printable Version
bobmoody
 Sunday, July 23 2006 @ 01:37 pm EDT (Read 1882 times)  
Forum Sage
Sage

Rolling Eyes Another of our regularly scheduled observing nights last night, and we had a few people show up. On the refractor, we had Dale Hall, looking for the Whirpool Galaxy and finding it totally "underwhelming".

I took a peek at it through his 5" and it was nearly as good as it was in my 12.5 f/7. But, that was still a little early in the evening, about 10:00pm. By 10:30, it was showing some hint of spiral structure in my old Redshift. The Ring Nebula and Hercules Cluster at 198X were great, though. The Ring was easily about 1/2 the size of my field of view in that 12.5mm Plossl, and the Globular almost filled the entire field of view. Excellent!!!

We also had Ron Medley on the Meade 10" LX50, using his Magellan handpad and software with his laptop for some 21st Century high-tech tracking. We looked at M81 and M82 with it and were quite happy with the views. The cooler temperatures after Friday's passage of a cold front were SOOO welcome. It was almost like observing on a late September or early October evening rather than a July 22nd evening.

We also had some visitors from the Fayetteville-Rogers area who had seen our Award-Winning web site and had printed off a map to come and find Coleman Observatory on their own. I didn't get to visit with them as much as I would have liked, and if they will click on my name somewhere on the site, or just send an email to caretaker@aoas.org, I'd like to chat with them some more. I usually give visitors some freebies like a "Welcome to Astronomy" booklet from Astronomy magazine, some book markers from NASA/JPL and some other things, but unfortunately they left before I could think to do this. If you folks will zap me a note, we'll find a way to get some of these things to you.

All-in-all, it was another good night. The views were not spectacular, except for the fact that we weren't wiping sweat from our foreheads every two minutes like we have been in this miserable heat-wave recently, but we could see pretty good details in most of the objects we tracked down. I wish the weather would remain that way for the entire week, but it's not supposed to last very long. Oh, well!

Bob
Coleman Observatory

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Monday, July 31 2006 @ 03:13 am EDT  

I have to say, my night was even better! I spent Sunday night looking through a 20" Refractor older than Fort Smith itself. I thought that was good until I got some views through a 28.5" Reflector at 14052ft.

Content generated in: 0.03 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:27 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.