Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 07:43 am EDT

Forum Index > Observing > Deep Sky New Topic Post Reply
 Learnin the sky
 |  Printable Version
remhill2003
 Monday, August 07 2006 @ 11:05 pm EDT (Read 2454 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

I have always enjoyed looking at the night sky,however I've always had problem finding object hat weren't visible to the naked eye,I usually got frustrated & called it a night or settled for the moon or a visible planet,then I went to my first outing at CAC & had the chance to check out a telrad finder it seemed this would make finding objects much easier,I puchased one & put it to use the first clear night,now armed with a laptop(for the star charts)I have been able to find 30 of the messier objects so far(,I have been able to see more with the aide of the telrad than I ever have before,even using a goto scope,which I hardly use anymore,I have discovered how satisfying it is to find a faint object on my own,don't get me wrong I still like my goto system,& I use it to get me in the general area of what I'm looking for then I star hop from there,by observing in this manner I have learned more & can now find pretty much what I want to & I'm learnig a lot about how to observe & am training myself to look for those faint fuzzies instead of using the goto computers & thinking,"well it must be there,I just can't see it"now I can't seem to get in enough observing time.

Clear skies,
Rick

Rick

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 01:14 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

The bug has bit Rick Hill! You'll never be the same again, Rick. So glad to hear you're finding lots of Messier's favorites. I prefer the Telrad and star-hop method over ANY other way of locating objects.

Are you working on a logsheet set for earning a Messier Certificate? I'm going to send you a set that I created for use at the computer to input information in any of the information fields. You'll print off a set for field use at the telescope, but sometime later, maybe the next day or week, you can input all the information you logged in a MUCH more clean and neat way.

When you finish your list and send off for that certificate, they'll congratulate you for the excellent way the logsheets are shown perfectly printed.

Check your email......

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Anonymous: TexasJagsFan
 Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 03:08 am EDT  

Hey now, that's my job!

You should do the Messier Logs, they are very rewarding. Oh yeah, 2 objects to go!

remhill2003
 Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 05:54 pm EDT  
Forum Junior
Junior

I am keeping a log,for now it's just a on a spiral bound 8x6 note pad,I planned on printing the logsheets & copying the information over at a later date,the ones you emailed me will make that much easier Bob,thanx,I have two goals pertaining to the messier list,(1) find all of 'em(2)image 'em,that should keep me busy for a while.

Rick

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 06:20 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

Rick, that is an outstanding goal! If you get images of all of them, I'll put together a calendar of them that we might sell for fund-raising. I have so many things that I want to complete in the imaging area of amateur astronomy that I may try imaging them myself as well.

Jon, get those last two on your list finished and send off for your Honorary Certificate. Now you have some competition.

And RICK.....You can get the first level of the Messier Club Certificate by finding and logging at least 70 objects. When you've found all 110, you can upgrade as Jon is about to do.

Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:43 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.