Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 10:54 am EDT

Forum Index > General > Club News New Topic Post Reply
 It was a good Christmas dinner meeting
 |  Printable Version
ed wemmerus
 Sunday, December 03 2006 @ 08:08 pm EST (Read 1935 times)  
Forum Regular
Regular

Hello to all

Well since no one has taken the opportunity to say it yet, we will. Again we had a wonderful dinner with our friends at AOAS. The meal was great (we have some terrific cooks in the club) and the company was even better. To all our fellow "AOASians" we wish you a Merry Christmas, A Joyous New Year, and all the peace and happiness life can bring in the company of great friends and a loving family.

Ed and Jeannie

Always look for the answer to the questions you do not know.

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Monday, December 04 2006 @ 09:16 pm EST  
Forum Sage
Sage

Well said, Ed! Seems like every time I sat down at the computer over the last three days, I neglected to post this same topic. It truly was, once again, a great time had by all, just as it always is.

I feel more proud of our members and the club as a whole when we get those comments like, "I've never met a nicer bunch of people", or "AOAS is the friendliest group of people..." We already know it, but when the new members that we bring into the club say it, it really makes my day. We enjoy each other's company and that can only help create new friendships, sometimes very close friendships.

Several years back, I was asked to help out with a group of people from the Ozark area when they wanted me to come and join them with my telescope for some outdoor function. They held some little ritual after the evening was winding down, where everyone sat around a campfire and opened up by announcing something they were thankful for. (It wasn't Thanksgiving) When it came around to my turn, I could tell that they wanted me to offer up something I was thankful for, too. I told them how thankful I was for our club members.

I guess something didn't strike them right about what I said. Maybe they didn't believe me, I don't know. There was a definite feeling in the air of tension after that, or maybe it was more a feeling of mistrust, possibly that they didn't think I was sincere about my thanks for our club's members.

That was their loss. I could not have been more sincere in what I said, and that rings true today just as it has for nearly the entire time I've been with this organization. Our members are what make this club something more than just a group of people who enjoy using telescopes. We're friends with each other first and foremost, and that's the best thing of all.

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Chuck Larson
 Wednesday, December 06 2006 @ 01:18 am EST  
Forum Regular
Regular

12/06/06
Bob,
What you say about AOAS is more true than many may realize. I do not know
how many others have had opportunites to meet with other astronomical
clubs or groups, but I have had the pleasure of getting to attend several orther
groups functions around the country. I can guarantee that we do have one of
the friendliest astronomy organizations that I have attended. I also think that
many of the things we have been doing are more active for our small organiztion
that many other groups are doing regardless of their size. Members can certainly
be proud to say the are a member of AOAS and its accomplishments over the years of its existence.
For those that have not been part of AOAS very long would find the history of this group to be full of surprises since its beginnings.
A positive look toward the 2007 year may hold many more important steps
forward that this organization will see. CHEERS!
Chuck Larson

Chuck Larson

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.16 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:54 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.