Login
New User

Welcome to AOAS.ORG
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 09:55 am EDT

Forum Index > Support > Web Site Support New Topic Post Reply
 Geographical coordinates
 |  Printable Version
ed wemmerus
 Sunday, July 03 2005 @ 11:30 am EDT (Read 7478 times)  
Forum Regular
Regular

I just wanted to say I think it would be a good idea to include the geographic coordinates for the observatory in a prominent place on the web site to use as a reference for setting up computer controlled scopes and computer observatory software. It might not be totally acurate for home use, but it would be closer than a guess and it would make using such devices more fun and easier.

Also, it might be a good idea to include a section on the website where one could find out the geographical coordinates for other prominent locations in the area, such as, Fort Smith, Van Buren, Poteau, Salisaw, Alma, Ozark, Cavanal Hill, Sugerloaf etc. and any others that could be of use to members in setting up they're scopes and software for viewing.

Any thoughts on the idea

Ed

Always look for the answer to the questions you do not know.

Profile Email
bobmoody
 Sunday, July 03 2005 @ 06:33 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

GREAT IDEA, Ed! After seeing this post I just sent Dave Grosvold a message about doing this exact thing. He also thinks it's a great idea and he'll be ready to post the coordinates as soon as I can get them located and recorded for all the spots you mentioned above. coordinates for Coleman Observatory are:

N35 31' 20" (35 degrees 31 minutes 20 seconds NORTH)
W94 26' 34" (94 degrees 26 minutes 34 seconds WEST)

We decided that we'd add a clickable button under the coordinates for Coleman Observatory that will read something like "Find coordinates near you!" or "Coordinates for area towns and features", anything that would let everyone know that by clicking on it they'll be able to pull up another static page on our site. That static page will have all the coordinates we can find, and if anyone reading these discussions has a geographical coordinates for their observing site or area town I invite anyone with such information to reply to this and tell us your coordinates so we can post them.

Everyone should benefit from this information, Ed. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Bob

Bob Moody

Profile Email
Marcus
 Monday, July 11 2005 @ 11:46 am EDT  
Forum Newbie

You can find coordinates for almost any place at www.geocaching.com. These are hidden containers around the world. Just search by zip code, or place name, or any other factors and there should be a geocache near there. They are all over Poteau, Van Buren, Sallisaw, and even one (placed by myself) on the very tip-top PEAK of Sugarloaf. WOO.

Profile Email
nspace01
 Thursday, July 28 2005 @ 01:05 am EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

This is a good site to determine your Long/Lat with aero photography

nSpace01

Profile Email
dgrosvold
 Tuesday, August 09 2005 @ 10:16 pm EDT  
Forum Admin
Admin

This is a great idea!

Check out our new Coordinates Page at http://www.aoas.org/staticpages/index.php?page=coordinates

Dave - Morrow, AR

Profile Email Website
bobmoody
 Tuesday, August 09 2005 @ 11:14 pm EDT  
Forum Sage
Sage

EXCELLENT, David! That's just the way I hoped it would turn out, click a link, find a page, find a coordinate for any of our area astronomer's hometown for them to better align their "GoTo" scopes with. Well done!

And, thanks for the new map to Coleman Observatory. Our new member Ed Wemmerus took it upon himself to make the map more accurate and giving it a cleaner look. If readers of this reply haven't done so yet, click on "Coleman Observatory", OR, click on "map" on the coordinates box on the Home page and see the new map to the observatory. I think you'll like that, too!

And David, thanks for all that you've done to give AOAS the absolute BEST website in America, and for all the work and dedication you give to it in keeping things up-to-date. I hope everyone will REPLY to this post and add their voice to mine on this matter. Personally, I think we'd be a much less developed club without this website, and I thank you once again!

Bob Moody

Profile Email
ed wemmerus
 Saturday, August 13 2005 @ 09:25 am EDT  
Forum Regular
Regular

Great job on the coordinates page Dave. Thanks for all you do to help and promote the club, an especially for your work on the web site.

Ed ('Big Grin')
Big Grin

Always look for the answer to the questions you do not know.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:55 am.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

User Functions

Lost your password?

What's New

STORIES

No new stories

COMMENTS last 2 days

No new comments

LINKS last 2 weeks

No recent new links

Want It ALL?

Become a card-carrying member of AOAS. Paying dues gives you several advantages over other registered users, including a subscription to the club newsletter, an AOAS.ORG e-mail address, use of club materials, including books and telescopes, and access to the Coleman Observatory facilities. On top of all that, you also qualify for a 20% discount on all books at any Books-A-Million location.

To get your membership application, click here.